Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drawing View Appearance Options

Drawing View Appearance Options

view_options.jpg

When placing views into drawings we are quite limited in our options, unlike when in the 'Part' & 'Assembly' environments where both have a wide range of appearance options for us to choose from.

Options such as 'Realistic', 'Shaded (with no edges)', Shadows (on/off) etc. could be very handy for getting a nicer image onto the page without the headache of inserting/maintaining static images.

See here for a related discussion.

Now, I don't believe that my shopped image above is the best way to implement these features, it is just a way of getting the idea across.

P.S. I understand that a drawing with a few realistic/ray-traced views could be a real pig to manage but that would be up to the user to deal with, as it is with large/unwieldly assemblies that stress our machines.

10 Comments
PaulMunford
Autodesk

I honestly can't see the point of 'Watercolour' view? Who's idea was that?

You are absoloutly right - having the cool shaded views avilable to us in the drawing would be much more useful...

jmfowler1996
Advocate

I was hoping to print out a card for a board game, which I modelled in 3d to look all fancy with shadows and stuff. It looks like it is actually impossible to do this. Why can't we have the drawing view look just like the model? I really think this should be looked into.

michael
Enthusiast

This is really important for dark materials in specific on IDWs. Black anodize, black plastic and gunmetal all turn out to be pretty much solid, saturated black once exported into a PDF from an IDW for example. Other colors within the same hue are also subject to this problem as well. Model edges don't appear well at all. It is a better idea to have your actual finished part on the print, and Autodesk should try recognize this too. What I "think" everyone really wants is the "Realistic View, with Texture and Lighting Toggle" available as an option here:

Inventor.JPG

It important to be able to show the vendor or the customer the actual end product, especially in this digital age for the price of this software. Some people do not have good imaginations, and overseas vendors can have language barriers. Remember the good ole phrase, "A picture is worth a thousand words," and please allow some sort of fine tuning for darker materials at the very least.

kjayne9DTJG
Community Visitor

My part drawings each show an isometric view to speed-up vendors understanding of what I need.

Inventor drawing has removed Realistic view needed to show knurled surfaces.

I have created knurled surfaces and this takes time to build and also causes drawings to show a black patch

where their should be knurling.

Please correct drawing problems showing knurls.

jmfowler1996
Advocate
Also worth noting is that in the past, there have been a few times when I have been asked to create a view of a completed product, to match a photograph as closely as possible (to display that we can accurately create models of existing equipment, or to show that what we fabricate is consistent with the initial design.) I have been very successful at creating views which match photographs by playing with the lighting etc. but could only use screenshots from the model environment since the views could not be translated onto a drawing. It's not likely to be a deal-breaker, but fixing this would be a bonus.
jhunt36
Contributor

I also would like to have a tool for knurl similar to thread. Material in part file, knurl shown in .IDW

Bill_Bogan1
Alumni

This came up (again) when looking at drawing views. So, I composed this image as a possible concept and rationale.

DrwgVw_shaded.png

fraserscott
Contributor

It is highly frustrating to plot an isometric view in colour, simply for Inventor to shadow the image and cause light greys for example to seem like a totally different colour. When dealing clients, the sign off process is hindered by the constant questions regarding the colours portrayed on a drawing conflicting with their colour choice, even thought the actual model appearance is correct. Surely this wouldn't be difficult to resolve? As previously stated, a 'realistic' view would be ideal for isometric views, or even the same controls as within the assembly and part environments.

slawkidwa
Participant

Almost 10 years passed... Autodesk playing banana with us. 😞

SSNE302
Contributor

As above, coming into a decade, as usual with autodesk...

My gripe is with the knurls. If you force us to have a knurl only shown under the "realistic" visual style, then you had better have that option available everywhere we need to show a knurl...I'm not happy in having to make a drawing, placing a view, creating a sketch of the knurled area, hatching the knurled area (which doesn't accurately show a knurl anyways...), all to show a freaking knurl so the drawing view (which is what a blueprint is for, no one uses solid models as the build-as info) shows what we already set in the model. All we need is another button for "realistic" in the drawing view box. Granted, the way knurls show up is really insane anyways, but it would be far better.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report