Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Improve Leader Text to Pull Subassembly iProperties

Improve Leader Text to Pull Subassembly iProperties

In the drawing environment, we would like to be able to pull a leader by selecting a subassembly and have the text in the leader to display the subassembly iProperty (for the Description for example).

Currently when we change the the leader text to be look at Type = "Properties-Model" and Property= "Description", we get the description of the part within the subassembly, not the description of the subassembly. It is as if the subassembly BOM structure is set to Phantom. The workaround is to manually type in the text, but this is obviously not live data and is prone to causing mistakes.

It would be nice if there was an option to pull the iProperty from the subassembly file rather than just the part files.

Autodesk Inventor Subassembly Properties.png

Autodesk Inventor Subassembly Properties2.png

Related links:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/Leader-to-a-referenced-part-in-an-assembly-idw/m-p/1...

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/Leader-Text-Question/m-p/3667398#M451818

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/Using-properties-from-subassemblies-in-leader-text-o...

35 Comments
timdown73
Collaborator

I'd like to double kudo this idea!Smiley Happy

Winks87
Collaborator
ABSOLUTELY!!. I have been trying to make this work each version of Inventor for a few years now. Please Autodesk - get your brightest to figure this one out.
LT.Rusty
Advisor

... and make sure there's a way there to pick which assembly or part you want to draw from.

... and if the text is in a sketch symbol, make sure that there's a way to set this property per sketch symbol, so I don't have to go back and edit each text box in each sketched symbol in each model, and save out 40 different versions of each one per drawing.

djreesing
Advocate

It would be nice if there would be an option for this to follow the BOM structure. The same as with normal item balloons but then it would be possible to use leaders or custom sketched symbols to extract iProperty information from these (sub)assemblies.

streharg
Advocate

I would love to see that!

iPorperties from sub assys and ¨their parts into idw!

Oh, and while doing that, just simple access to iproperty of main assembly/part of the idw would be nice!

DRoam
Mentor

I'd like to go even further and say that:

1. The part selection dropdown should be FIRST in the dialog box, and ll other dropdowns (Type, Property, Parameter, and Precision) should come from the part (or assembly) I select.

2. This should apply for leader notes AND standard text boxes.

This way, I have complete control over what I'm trying to say with a note. I can point to one part and say "<DESCRIPTION of part pointed to> is flush with <DESCRIPTION of part I selected from drop-down>". I could include assembly parameters or part parameters, anything I need that will update automatically to convey the proper information. Currently if I want to say something about a component that's not pointed to by a leader, I have to type static text which, as Curtis pointed out, is prone to causing mistakes.

dsponholz
Observer

I too really need a solution for this.  Does anyone know of a workaround, or an iLogic solution to acomplish this?

Cadmanto
Mentor

Prior to this thread

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-General/Assembly-Property-in-an-idw/m-p/4930550#U4930550

I never knew this was an issue.  I guess when you don't ever use this kind of functionality you don't know.

This idea makes perfect sense.

mikejones
Collaborator

Adding in parameter info into text strings within the drawing environment is a simple process but doing the same for iProperies is non-existant. Can we have an iProperty option under the'Source' dropdown and then make the Type and Property dropdowns show the iProperties for the component specified under the component dropdown.

This would be very useful for leader text as has been noted in the past.

This sort of functionality should be available in the part and assembly environment also, enabling the user to emboss 'Partnumber' information for example  directly from the iProperty and updating automatically as necessary.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-IdeaStation/Improve-Leader-Text-to-Pull-Subassembly-iProperti...

Mike

Tags (4)
jtylerbc
Mentor

I've been meaning to post something similar for a while.  This would be great for inserting properties (my particular use would largely be for the Part Number) into notes that aren't tied to that part with a leader.  Currently this has to be done by just manually typing the part number, which then doesn't correct itself if that part number changes.

jaysm
Observer

Kudos x 100!!!

For our purposes, this is the single most disappointing thing about Inventor. Come on! What's the point of a sub-assembly if I intend to call out the lower level components at the top level??? That's no longer a sub-assembly!

The worst is when we incorporate purchased vendor parts into our drawings. I don't give a darn what components make up that part/assembly. We're just calling in a top level part number into our assembly drawing. Why doesn't the "purchased" distinction on the BOM carry over to call-outs on the drawing?

erazorzedge
Advocate

Almost a year and a half later, with 60+ kudos, and nothing (not even a reply) from Autodesk? What's the point of this IdeaStation?

This idea, along with other basic features that are present in AutoCAD (like multi-line text editing, text justification, dimension lines break at intersections, etc.) should have been implemented long ago.

quinn
Participant

This is an excellent suggestion, Curtis! Thank you for taking the time to articulate it so clearly.

I, too, am disappointed that the suggestion is still at "New Idea" status a year and a half later.

T.Wiesendanger
Contributor

Pretty sad to see that there is still nothing going on here. Even in 2016 you did nothing to resolve this problem?

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Accepted

Accepted idea [494]. Thanks!

johnny.buccola
Advocate

I've found something of a workaround (it's a start, at least)!! I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this, that I can see...  

You can create a custom balloon style that uses no border (balloon) and use IT to call up the subassembly properties.  This means that in the following styles editor window, you have to change the ITEM property to "PART NUMBER, DESCRIPTION" or "<YOUR SUBASSEMBLY PROPERTY>" Note that you have to insert a BOM first, and have it indented in the manner you want to see the balloon.

Capture.PNG

Capture  2.PNG

Of course, it's still a workaround, in that you can't do anything edit or add to the text as a balloon.  But like I said, it's certainly a start.

I got the idea from the following blog:

http://blogs.rand.com/manufacturing/2012/03/inventor-drawing-tips-geometry-enclosed-text.html

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Future Consideration

Idea added to backlog for future consideration [494]. Thanks!

danielvdeleito
Contributor

Yes please please plase

rjbalabarca
Explorer

Estimados,

La opción de introducir un "property" de ensamble en un dibujo es muy necesaria. Me uno a mis compañeros en el hecho de solicitar a Autodesk que agregue esta opción lo más pronto posible al software.

Gracias por su amabilidad.

Saludos cordiales.

Atte.

Junior Balabarca

jdg072
Advisor

after 5-6 yrs - still nothig changed...?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report