Inventor IdeaStation
Share your ideas about how to improve Inventor with the Development Team.
54 Kudos
marshallw

Drainage pans for sheet metal

by Valued Contributor marshallw ‎12-31-2012 07:58 AM - edited ‎12-31-2012 08:07 AM

It would be nice to have a dimpling procedure in sheet metal (similar to sheet metal punch tools that create "feet" or other punched forms that do not actually cut a hole in the sheet metal face. Given a starting face, a dimple point and a dimple depth, crease  the face along the four crease lines to create a drainige pan or strengthening ribs.

Drain Pan 1.jpg

Drain Pan 2.jpg

The result is a piece of sheet metal with a depressed point at the "dimple" depth, slightly bent along the creasing lines.

Creasing sheet metal along 4 lines from a dimple point is a very common procedure for creating drain pans and strengthening sheet metal assemblies such as heating & air conditioning system conduits.

All "humble opinions" are considered on the Inventor Idea Station. Therefore I am modifying this status from "Solution Provided" to "Under Review". Thanks - Dan
Comments
by Employee on ‎01-28-2013 03:02 PM
Status changed to: Future Consideration
This is something that the team has brought up in the past
by Employee on ‎01-29-2013 12:35 PM

Hello Marshall,

One possible way that may work for you now is to use a Lofted Flange.  To model it, create one sketch that defines the outside perimeter.  Then create an offset workplane that describes the depth of the pressing operation.  At that location, create another sketch that is just a 1/32" square.  Use the Lofted Flange feature with the Press Brake output selected.

Now this will not work for modeling ducting due to the hole in the side, but it could suffice as a drainage pan.  A hole/punch could be placed afterward.

DrainagePan.png

Bryan Kelley

Sr. Software QA Engineer

by Employee on ‎01-29-2013 12:50 PM

One side note, you could then use a few Boundary Patches and Sculpt them together.

DrainagePanBrowser.png

It will be closed after that if it is participating within some ductwork.

DrainagePanClosed.png

Bryan Kelley

Sr. Software QA Engineer

by Employee on ‎02-27-2013 12:41 PM
Status changed to: Solution Provided
Mashall, We would be curious to hear if the workaroud Bryan suggested currently satisfies your request. Thanks, Dan
by Valued Contributor marshallw on ‎03-01-2013 08:22 AM

Lofted flange solution does not work. it rounds the corners of the original rectangles. This negates adding additional flanges to the model (that are correct). Thanks for the suggestion, though.

by *Expert Elite* on ‎03-01-2013 03:00 PM

Hi  marshallw,

I wonder if the Cosmetic Centerline tool would help you.

To create cross-break lines, follow these general steps:

1. Click the Create Flat Pattern button (or the Go To Flat Pattern button if it’s already created) found on the Sheet Metal tab.
  2. Create a new 2D sketch on the appropriate face of the flat pattern (click OK if warned about the sketches on the flat pattern not carrying over to the folded model).
  3. Use the Line tool to create the cross-break line(s) as needed.
  4. Click the Finish Sketch button on the Sketch tab.
  5. Click the Cosmetic Centerline button (found on the Create panel in the Flat Pattern tab) and select the previously sketched line(s).
  6. Adjust the manufacturing information using the controls in the Cosmetic Centerline dialog box, and then click OK.

A Cosmetic Centerline feature will be created in the browser, and it will consume the sketch you created. You can edit it as you would any other feature if needed.

This cosmetic information is then availble in the drawing environemt allowing you to detail the flat pattern as needed.

f0632.png

by rptandy on ‎04-19-2013 02:22 PM

I see this marked as "solution provided,' but that is not the case IMHO. Another common term for what marshall is trying to do is a "crossbreak". The cosmetic centerline on the flat pattern works great for showing your manufacturer where to hit the metal, but it doesn't show the end result in the model. That causes problems with our press brake software too.

by Employee on ‎05-14-2013 09:09 AM
Status changed to: Under Review
All "humble opinions" are considered on the Inventor Idea Station. Therefore I am modifying this status from "Solution Provided" to "Under Review". Thanks - Dan
by jakeericht on ‎08-29-2013 01:33 AM

Hi Marshellw, I was wondering if you have managed to find a workable solution to the 'Drainage pans for sheet metal' which allows you to add flanges to it too? I am also trying to create what is a 'creased shower tray' and have tried Bryan's suggestion of a lofted flange, yet I am unable to add flanges to this without creating errors. I have added a 'Rip', then added a flange, yet their corners overlap and it will not flatten.

I am using Inventor 2013.

Really appreciate some help please.

Thanks

by Valued Contributor marshallw on ‎08-29-2013 07:13 AM
Jakeericht,

I ran into the same problem, which is why I started the thread in the first place. I have attached the original test file (which does fold out into a flat pattern) for your inspection.

Good Luck,

Marshall Wilson
Applications Engineer
[cid:image003.jpg@01CEA498.65B38090]
Total CAD Systems
480 N. Sam Houston Pkwy. E
Suite 234
Houston, TX 77060
(281) 445-6161
Autodesk(r) Platinum Partner
You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
IdeaStation Guidelines
Review guidelines and best practices
before posting a new idea.

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube