Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ability to rotate section view plane

Ability to rotate section view plane

Ability to move and rotate section view plane with an intuitive interface like Fusion 360:

Section.gif

Alex

24 Comments
akosi
Collaborator
I loveeeeed this feature in solidworks that ive been waiting for inventor to have also.

Assembly has the cut view plane to view sections. It would be aweeeeesommmmee if i can drag the plane and show the section smoothly. Someone also suggested here to have cut view plane in ipt and i agree 100% .
Tags (1)
jletcher
Advisor

You can do this in the assembly already I have not seen a need for it in a part yet but I do not object to it...

In the assembly when placing the section cut plane just drag it back and forth.

This has been there from day one of section cuts I used that in demos to make the viewers eww and awww

akosi
Collaborator

Im using inventor 2011 and cant do it . you are talking about  the section view under the view tab? It only have a flip option. 

jletcher
Advisor

Yes it will work in 2011 I was demoing this in Inventor 4. You had the flip option because you let go of the left click before you started to drag the mouse.

When you click on the face or plane the section view creates it's own plane if you start to drag before letting go of the left click when you pick the face to start the section on. A dialog box with Offset should pop up when you start the section.

So this is what you do start the section command pick a face with left click hold the left button down at all times and start to drag the mouse this will make a plane for the section view now as long as you do don't click the check mark you can release the left button and when you want to drag again just hold down the lift mouse button again and drag.

If you still can't get it to work I will make a short video for you..

akosi
Collaborator
pls make a video , i tried it so many times , icant make it work! Sent from my iPhone
rptandy
Contributor

What I'd like to see is the ability to drag the cutting plane AFTER you have created the section view. Now, if you create the section view, do a few other operations, and need to move the plane over a few inches, you have to go back to square one. It isn't a huge deal, but it would be nice. Smiley Happy

h.schkorwaga
Advocate
  1. As an option to dragging clipping planes dynamicalliy I'd like to select a point and plane to make a defined cut/clip. Not always workplanes are available - and creating them only for clipping is annoying.
  2. As discussed here in the comments section: an additonal option to add a triad to the clipping plane to dynamically move and rotate this plane.
  3. Also as mentioned here in the comments: Cutting via bounding box  with dragable surfaces (like NX has it)

Please have look at this link and scroll down to the last picture. Funny - this is a Autodesk Revit screenshot... So it seems that Revit has such a feature(?).

In Siemens UG NX one option within the 3d dynamic clip feature is clipping with a box surrounding your model. (similar as shown in the picture from the link). On each side of this box are dragable handles. So you are able to cut your model from six sides dynamically. Beyond this every side of the clipping box should be snapalble to geometry.

Thank you!

steinar.sorem
Advocate

Please update the section view command with dynamic rotate clipping including as in NX

drawings
Advocate

In Inventor 2012 you could change the offset of a section view (location where it cuts) in a model and still mainpulate the model. This was before committing the section view. Now you have to commit the section view before going on.

I would like to see the ability to change this offset at any time (after commiting) without having to re-construct a section view.

I have seen this before in other programs. Mechanical simulation allows you to stroll back and forth thru a model to see different sections. When examining a part or assembly, section views allow you to remove clutter thats in the way and also see the interelation of components (fit).

Also to be able to flip the view while working on the component and look back the other way.

Ideally being able to pivot (select a crossing plane) around a line and slice in another direction.

These would allow a more dynamic and simpler manipulation of section views.

Tags (2)
mnorman
Advocate

This would be an excellent idea and give far more visibility

P-D91
Enthusiast

Great idea, see also my idea from a few months back.....

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideas/half-section-snaps/idi-p/7016740

Mo.Sar.Designer
Contributor

I support this idea. It is already available on SW & NX and makes reviewing designs much quicker and makes showing features on different orientations and comparing them easier.

dusan.naus.trz
Advisor

More options than Fusion 360.

Could it work similarly? https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=4&v=11P7xiDqftI

dan_butler_komatsu
Enthusiast

Have often wished for this... it is a great idea for Inventor!

foianesi
Explorer

Dear Sirs,

I’d like to suggest a possible development for your program, i.e. to enable the creation of a dynamic angular section around an axis.

Looking forward to your reply, I remain available for any further clarification.

Yours sincerely,

foianesi_0-1615968416410.png

ethan_howardMMXXIV
Collaborator

Great idea. It would be nice to be able to select any plane, surface or feature too! Of course, "offset" would be needed too.

Yijiang.Cai
Autodesk
Status changed to: Under Review

It has been tracked as [INVGEN-56676].

Add the feature to modify the section plane when doing half/quarter section view.

For instance during packaging checks, typical usercase:

The section needed is not defined by a plane or surface, then if a section in YZ plane is selected the plane can currently only be offsett. If a compass or VCS symbol is added to the section plane it can be adjusted to show the needed section, rotated/angled.

Yijiang.Cai
Autodesk
Status changed to: Accepted

ethan_howardMMXXIV
Collaborator

Awesome! When do we get this?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report