Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Don't add anything

Don't add anything

I just want you to stop adding anything and just fix it.

That includes putting back my classic interface.

Then maybe I can think of what to add but right now I am fighting all the bugs the extra clicks that you added to the interface.

Help not working, settings not staying, now fighting a damaged style but it worked for months now it's damaged.

Because I am sick of the bugs not being fixed and I have to tell clients in order to fix the bugs you have now you have to upgrade to even a more buggy Inventor and most don't need all this crap you are putting in.

This is for manufacturing not for rendering I could care less the thing is pretty, pretty don't make my parts.

Just roll this thing back when it was for manufacturing and sell your VIZ or Max for the darn rendering....

Sad just very sad.................

I am so upset I need to stop......

12 Comments
cadman777
Advisor

Sorry to say, but Autodesk will never listen to this great idea.

They rely on "incremental upgrades" to make their investors rich by stringing along their customers.

The only way they'll listen to you is if NOT LISTENING costs their investors $$$ (= lost profits).

End-users are to Autodesk what "we the people" are to government officials/bueaucrats.

We are their "picking field". "The rich rule over the poor ..."
It has nothing to do with "satisfying the customer", unless you identify "the customer" as Autodesk's "INVESTORS".

... Chris

marshallw
Advocate

Unfortunately, Marketing & Engineering never see eye-to-eye. Marketing thinks that adding new shiny buttons to a car's dashboard make it perform better. Engineers are all about the under-the-hood functionality. The problem with Autodesk is that the Marketeers think that adding shiny objects to Inventor makes it sell better - like watercolor visuals. Just maybe they should try things the engineer's way for once i.e. make the under the hood improvements & see what happens to their sales -- I'll bet they will get better sales numbers out of a machine that functions better than out of a machine that has new features that only partially work. Sad that those of us who actually use this thing as an engineering tool are at the mercy of the marketing.mentality.

ihiengdept
Enthusiast

Agreed, so much of the stuff being added isn't of great value.  With as many years of development as it's had, I am repeatedly frustrated by the lack of polish on the basic environment.  I do appreciate a few things done to make it more usable, but keep tightening things up.

For Example: Vertical in the default template (at least for "in" unit parts) is not perpendicular to the plane defined as "top" on the display cube.  This creates all kinds of fun when navigating and constraining if you don't modify the template before you start or develop some tricks to live with it.  And have fun if you alread made the part that way.  If you try to fix the coordinate system, you might break other stuff (drawings) that relies on it and if you adjust the cube, it may not be what you want as "top" anymore.

There's so many it would take a while to document them all.  I guess I'll just submit them here as I go.

tbennett
Advocate

AutoDesk cannot sit on its hands.  To be competitive they need to continue to add features.  That is why Pro/E lost so much of the market to SolidWorks.

However, I very much agree.  If you have a feature that doesn't work, do you really have it?  The first order of business should be with those who already own the product.  Loyalty first and foremost.  The uses are the most effective salesmen.

ChrisAtherton
Advocate

I agree that certain operations need sorted out however I dont think that the classic interface needs to come back as I for one was glad to be rid of it especially now as noone has used it for a few years.

jletcher
Advisor

@ tbennett

If you think Pro-e lost customers to solid works because they did not add features is so wrong I can't put it to words.

Pro-e lost because of the cost and nothing else. Pro-e was $15,000.00 to $20,000.00 for base and then you add to that by the time you was done it could cost you $30,000.00 to $40,000.00.

Pro-e also lost more because how hard to use, it was hard to modify a part. You have a model window and a sketch window. Features had many clicks to do something. And all the tabs you had to click to get to a command you know like this new interface.

And that leads me to

@chris.atherton

there was no learning the classic interface so that is a mute point you have to learn this new interface and it added so many clicks to do anything. I don't care if you keep it just give me back my classic option. I have trained many people in Inventor before and after and trust me most complain about the new interface most because they have to click a tab for this click a tab for that and wonder why the just don't put it in one. So I showed them 2010 and they cannot believe Autodesk changed it just to look like solid works.

Please tell me why you was glad to get rid of it. And make a valid point....

lesmfunk
Collaborator

New items justify an increase in price, or subscription service.

We paid for a broken product without warranty. Features added nearly a decade ago still don't work properly.

CCarreiras
Mentor

100% agree....

jalger
Collaborator

I guess they are waiting to have an AutoCAD 13 Senario... i.e. it doesn't even work out of the box...

(wait we have already had that haven't we?...)

kidding aside, This is exactly what I want, and all my clients want it too...

for release 2016, DON"T ADD ANYTHING,  just fix what we already "have".

aparrow
Advocate

Please just fix it please the bugs. Stop making the worthless little interface tweaks that usually end up not doing anything for productivity and make our 20+ end users life a living hell that I have to hear about every day until the next change. Just fixing the bugs would justify the $375K I have to burn for maintenance every 3 years. 

brotherkennyh
Advocate

I think this thread is nonsense. Inventor has moved on in great leaps over the last several years, most of the colleagues I work with look forward to the new release to see what new features have been included.

If you are really so confident that the old version is soo good then give it a go for a while and I am sure you will regret the decision.

The current interface is much easier for people to pick up the software and provides a lot more information to a new user. For those of you who like the old interface you can at least modify the current inventor interface to look somewhat like the old panels used to. The software may have bugs, but it only has them because Autodesk keep adding new features for people to make use of.

sth
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Although I love it Inventor is like a crazy construction area ....
They are busy in finishing a penthouse but the base is still "work in progress" Smiley Frustrated

Hey Autodesk guys, please don't forget that we've to earn the money with your solutions to pay
your license and service fees!

Try to keep this in mind and everything will be fine Smiley Happy

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report