Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Derived parts

Derived parts

We have sometimes have situations where two parts are almost mirror images of each other, but not quite. One part will have a hole or two that its counterpart doesn't. This presents us with a choice:

1) Make a mirror image derived part and then add or remove features as needed.

2) Forget the derived part and model both parts from scratch.

I'd like to see the ability to generate a mirror image part that wasn't a dumb solid and had all the sketches, features, you name it, of the original part, but in mirror image. I would not expect the mirror-image part subsequently to update with changes in the original part. If I did change the original part and wanted the mirror image part to reflect the changes, I'd derive the mirror image part again if that seemed the most straightforward approach.

A couple of years ago I ran this idea past someone from our reseller at user group meeting, and he said I wasn't the first person to request it.

8 Comments
coreyparks
Advisor

When inside the part file you want to mirror fire up the mirror command nomally used for mirroring features.  If you look at the 2 buttons on the left one says mirror individual features and the other says to mirror solid.  If you mirror the entire solid you are allowed to choose if you would like to delete the original or not.  This keeps the entire model tree identical to the base part with any new different features being added after the mirror function.  Is this what your looking for?

andrew_buc
Contributor

Yes, that did the trick, thanks!

dusan.naus.trz
Advisor

solid edge ST9 2016 can better mirror the components, mirror sketch 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ce2NgnsM5ec

also maybe in Inventor 2018 ?

inv.ideareview
Autodesk
Thanks for sharing your Idea. We use this forum to guide product development and help users in the best way we can based on voting. We occasionally merge Ideas or archive old ones to keep the forum working properly - it ensures there is room for people to review new Ideas and that the most relevant and meaningful ones can gain votes. We’re archiving this Idea because it's been on the board for well over a year and hasn't received many votes from the community. If you want to raise it again and try to gain more support, you're welcome to do so. We’ve found that pictures and mock-ups can help get concepts across and win more votes from other users. If you have questions or see a connection between this Idea and others, let us know. - Inventor product team (Inv.idea review)
inv.ideareview
Autodesk
Status changed to: Archived

dusan.naus.trz
Advisor

When will it be implemented? The colleague wanted to vote and it was not possible.

jacek_stirba
Contributor

When will it function? Can not vote?

horakA76GL
Observer

Thumbs up

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report