Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Customizable Hole Wizard

Customizable Hole Wizard

I see a need to be able to expand what types of fasteners/threads are available in the Hole Wizard.

For instance, I would like to add a "Shoulder Bolt" fastener (both Inch & Metric) to the Clearance.xls file so that when this is selected, it would generate a counterbore hole the size of the bolt shaft and a corresponding thread specific to the bolt size (all of which can be inputed in the excel file easily) leaving only the depth of the counterbore and thread... but currently I have to do all of this manually by selecting a "counterbore - thru thread" -or- "counterbore - thread depth" condition which leaves open the possibility for human error.

Also, I use Helicoil inserts a lot and would like to add this to the Thread.xls but I need Inventor to differentiate between a standard threaded hole & the Helicoil so that the hole callout on the drawing will come in as desired.

---------- 

As an experiment, I customized both the Clearance and Thread excel docs (see attached) but ran into some aggrevating issues with regards to how customizable (or lack thereof) the Hole Wizard really is.

As the CAD manager, I was able to manipulate the available options within the excel files and the hole callout note format to get some of the desired results but I feel there should be an easier way.

----------

I will try to upload a PDF that outlines what I was able to accomplish as well as some tweaks that would allow CAD managers the ability to have some more control over what would be automatically calculated by the software.

5 Comments
dvsmiller9
Advocate

We could use the hellicoil feature as well.  We specify helicoils in almost everything and currently have to override the hole note.  Consider adding the length of the helicoil as well. Helicoils come in standard lengths matching multiples of the major diameter of the screw they are meant to receive.  We frequently specify 1X or 1.5X nominal screw diameter for the helicoil length even though the tapped hole may be much deeper.

turnco1
Participant

I would like to a threaded holes for grease nipples (metric or tapered) with a smaller hole through the centre to either a plane or depth for grease path.  Often would like to chamfer or counterbore the start to protect the grease fitting from damage.

Anonymous
Not applicable

HeliCoils are often used.

Please consider include them in the Hole wizzard and hole callouts on 2d.

Stemy
Advocate

I would like to be able to have a threaded hole with a c'bore on it. We do jack screws in our dies we design and we design the with a c'bore and threads at the bottom. Be nice to be able to create a hole for this instead of having to do it manual everytime we do a die.  

ZacRocket
Contributor

I had to write my own program for this as there is no way to import standard countersink/counterbore/spotfaced values on threaded holes. And I had to do this as a post creation addition since I couldn't access the Hole tool. All I required was adding another section in thread.xls for the Hole Heads. If this could be integrated with the Hole tool such values could be populated before hole creation. Thread(Extended).png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea