Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom section marks

Custom section marks

In order to follow my company's standards, I need to draw my own section mark lines. (See attached picture.)

In AutoCAD, we had a LISP routine to automate it - there were three clicks to input points. First click gave us the starting point, the end of the line with the circle. The 2nd click gave us the other end of the line. The 3rd click decided the direction the arrow pointed. After that, it prompted us for the section label ("A") and the sheet number ("S1").

I've figured out how to make the circles with numbers with prompted entries, but don't know how to draw the line and arrows without them being a fixed predetermined length and direction in a sketched symbol.

This would need to input similar to a leader line with multiple input points, which from what I can tell, sketched symbols are a single input point.

I really don't need for it to pull in the sheet number or section label automatically - I'm fine with manually inputting them with a prompt.

52 Comments
donniemann
Explorer

Our Section Marks are similar.  In addition we frequenly work using Clients' Standards which requires us to use a variety of different symbols for Section Lines.

It would be considerably easier if Inventor allowed us to define a custom symbol for Section Line terminators.  Something similar to the option available for Item Balloons.

Maybe I'm misreading the OP but I think this would be a simple solution here as well?

Donnie.

schnautza
Advocate
Donnie, it sounds like we are on the same page. A custom symbol for the end of Section lines is exactly what I want.
dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Under Review

Dantevw1
Advocate

same here,

office is migrating from 2D acad to Revit/Inventor. We DO want to keep company standards, including symbols for the sections

schnautza
Advocate

What's the status on this? Hopefully we can fix this soon!

Or at the minimum, make it possible to hide the default section marks so I can insert my own sketched symbols...

hagiographa
Enthusiast

This has been under review for a long time.

Please change the status from "Under Review" to "Accepted", or better still "Implemented".

Thank you  Smiley Happy 

Kyle.Arnold
Enthusiast

Yes... just yes... We can't switch to Inventor until this happens! Let us customize all of the symbols. We can't switch to Inventor until we can meet customer standards!

jasonrecords
Advocate

In addtion to this it would be great that Inventor would show on the draiwng automatically on the parent view, what page number the detail view is on and visa-versa.  It can be done but a macro is needed, would like to see this be done internally as an option when placing a detail view or section view.  See link below.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideastation/detail-or-section-view-title-show-what-page-the-p...

Fallow
Participant

Full support this... we need to be able to comply with company/client standards, including the use of standard industry symbols for the sections.

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Gathering Support

jeamy.baena
Advocate

Hi,

I totally agree with this idea, please implement this feature ASAP.

Thanks!!

Fallow
Participant

Most of our clients require this type of section mark so totally support the request to impement this ASAP.

Regards, John

WPeacock
Contributor

This is a number one must have!

schnautza
Advocate

How long does this have to "Gather Support" before anything is done? This really doesn't seem like it would be that hard to implement.

krystof.dockal
Explorer

Custom symbols of section which can be defined in sketch would be big help or at least possibility to define the style of lines in existing marks (the thick line on the end of section line, perpendicular to arrows)!

Filipe.Everly
Advocate

Since 2013 and not yet implemented !!!

Same issue here.

evettem
Contributor

NEED A SOLUTION ASAP!!!

ICON-CAD-Admin
Explorer

OK so its been 5 years since this went 'Under Review', any progress?

dguerra
Explorer

ITS 2019, has anything come from this? I do large assemblies and sections views with a balloon showing detail letter and sheet number would be nice. Id be happy to be able to hide the section view line and insert a custom symbol

RJR89
Enthusiast

Looks like it's safe to say this is another simple request being completly ignored by Autodesk... Really justifies the £1500 per person per year price tag eh?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report