Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom patterns

Custom patterns

I would like to have custom patterns!

Patterns can stay the way they are, but besides spacing and distance, please, add custom, so users can define custom distances. That would save a lot of time! Now, have to do 2, 3 or 4 different patterns of same thing, just to get spacings right.

Greg

34 Comments
coreyparks
Advisor

So your saying patterns based on say an embedded spread sheet with multiple different spacings?  This would be nice.

MattH_Work
Collaborator

Add fill paterns to that list. In fact just look at the options available to NX users

LT.Rusty
Advisor

Also, make the patterns work the same way in the part and assembly environments.

For instance:  circular pattern of 4 items @ 90 degrees in the part environment gives you 4 features spaced out over a 90 degree arc.  Go to the assembly environment, and the same thing gives you 4 features spaced 90 degrees apart.  Why the difference?

Also, why can we do a pattern on a sketched curve in the part environment but not the assembly environment?

MRanda
Advocate

This has been requested before in the discussion groups, but I think it needs revisiting as it has huge time saving potential. I often get instances of a pattern where a hole pattern is interupted somewhere with an odd spacing, then continues again with the first spacing, for instance:

• 3 sets of holes at 150 mm spacing
  • 2 sets of holes at 175 mm spacing
  • 6 sets of holes at 150 mm spacing

The holes are all the same specs, and are all linear, but just need to adjust the spacing in the middle. Looking at the model I am wotking on now, I could use this functionality all over the place including things that I normally would have to fully model such as a set of four gusset plates that each have their own spacing. I would prefer to pattern them and control them via iLogic.

The same goes for circular pattern, allow both to have multiple pattern steps!

streharg
Advocate
smithar
Autodesk
Status changed to: Under Review

mslosar
Advisor

I agree as well.

We do a number of things here that need to be arrayed around a circle. I'd say 1/2 the time the spacing isn't even.

6 objects around a body aren't always going to be 60 degrees apart. Being able to use a table to say:

item 2   120

item 3   170

item 4   240

item 5   300

item 6   355

would be great!

As it is now, the only option is is to place 6 different assemblies and their associated connection peices on the main body 6 separate times (or more depending on how many are needed).

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Under Review

Let me pose another question. Assuming you could only receive "custom distance" functionality in one environment (Part or Assembly). Which would be more critical to all of you? This project [US76067] is under review by the development team.

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Gathering Support
This idea has already been submitted. Please refrain from casting kudos to Duplicate listings as it splits the potential votes between two items. Thanks. Likewise this project [US14656] is under review by the development team. http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-IdeaStation/Custom-patterns/idi-p/3686632
streharg
Advocate

I vote for assembly enviroment!

Greg

michael_marx
Advocate

part environment is always better

in assembly you can always link to the part pattern 🙂

MattH_Work
Collaborator

by michael.marx on ‎2013-03-07 03:23 PM

part environment is always better

in assembly you can always link to the part pattern 🙂

Agreed. If we can't have both, let the Part dictate and the Assembly follow

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Accepted

Accepted idea [US-76067]. Please continue to provide feedback on environment preference. Thanks!

a_sima
Enthusiast

need table pattern, pattern by reference (look at competitors! and LEARN from them!)

mflayler2
Advisor

Post a more defined example of this so users you do not have the competing CAD product can see the value and reasoning for the tool.  The phrasing of the Idea can be taken a couple different ways.

a_sima
Enthusiast

look at proe pattern table

streharg
Advocate
gusi_cl
Advocate

And Helicoidal pattern too!!!

In assembly and part environments. I've ask it in anothre post....

Old Mechanical Desktop does this!

ilotey
Enthusiast

Solidworks has a thing called a sketch driven pattern.  Basically

1. You create a sketch that has a whole bunch of points in it.  you can define and place the points whereever and however you like in your sketch.

2. Create a seed feature on on of those points

3. Start the sketch driven pattern command

4. Select the point on which your seed feature sits (the base point)

5. The seed feature will be patterened to all the other points in the sketch.

The advantage to this approach is that developers don't have to try to anticipate every type of pattern users will want.

Further to this, SW will allow you to use this type of feature pattern to drive an assembly component pattern

Something like this would be awesome in Inventor.

JoeBarnes4076
Advocate

How about a pattern based on a sketch of points.  It would be the graphical equivalent to the table pattern.  It would also be much more flexible.  Creo had table patterns forever.  Very difficult to use and had limitations for locational references.  In a sketch any point can be located with respect to any reference.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report