Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create ID for objects that are placed constraints

Create ID for objects that are placed constraints

If we could name objects (especially faces), we might anticipate replacing componant => The software could use the ID to replace the reference constraints without error.

7 Comments
jtylerbc
Mentor

I would suggest looking into iMates, which are already similar to what it sounds like you are trying to achieve.

jletcher
Advisor

What are reference constraints?

fsanchou
Advocate

jtylerbc,

Thanks,

I know iMates, but the workflow is complex for many users.

I know also, that every object has an ID readable from API.

If we had this ID displayed and editable from constraint dialog and also reachable via the context menu on componant, it would be easier to copy ID from the "old" componant to the "new" component.

jletcher,

reference constraints => it's a "copy-paste" error. It should read : The software could use the ID to modify constraints without error.

Best regards

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Implemented

This idea has been implemented within Autodesk Inventor 2019. Special thanks to everyone who cast a vote for it.

b.kurtP25AS
Contributor

Dear Dan

Unfortunately it is not true that Autodesk has implemented this feature!

Yes you can name faces. But Inventor don't use it!

-> So this option is meaningless!

Why Inventor don't use the given name?

Therefore I create e "new" idea for using this probably cool feature in an intelligent way:

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideas/million-dollar-feature-component-replace-with-named-su...

Yijiang.Cai
Autodesk

We can use the iLogic solution to replace the object for constraint. At first the object should be assigned using entity name, and the entity name can be used for iLogic rule. Does it work for you?

iLogic.png

b.kurtP25AS
Contributor

Dear Yijang

Thanks for your quick reply! Didn't expect any response 😉

I'm aware about the iLogic & iMate functions. Both are failing.

iLogic:

It only makes sense if it's possible to programm, that the constraint can be replaced (not delete and add!).

And second, if it's possible to use variables and not "hard code" the type of constraint and hard code the name of face. This is pretty useless.

That's why I'm still asking:

Why Inventor doesn't use it's own feature "assign name"? Why the users has to programm their own "replace" function within iLogic?

Solution -> Change the code as follow:

if ( the part to replace HAS namedGeometry AND the new part has the SAME namedGeometry )

then ( replace the parts and replace the constraint with the namedGeometry )

else( try to replace the internalID as you do since years )

I guess for Autodesk it needs 1h of time to implement this code for an already existing feature.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report