Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Project alternate views from base view with CRTL key

Project alternate views from base view with CRTL key

The view projecion seems incomplete to me... Sometimes, I want to be able to see the back view of the model in addition to the front view, which is the standard base view. Wouldn't it be nice to simply project the back side from the base model instead of creating a second base view? If you could use CTRL+CLICK, this could show the side opposite of the base view. Then to continue with that, CTRL+CLICK above and below that rear view to project some isometric rear views. All of these views would be linked together with representations and alignment, making a quicker workflow.

projected.png

10 Comments
ljordan
Advocate

Project either the Projected-Left  or Projected-Right, and you will  obtain the Back view.  No need for another base view.  

OR...if you dont want the side view between the front and back views..

Create your front base view, then create a back base view, and finally select horizontally align.  They are then linked together.

I won't say that your idea wouldn't be useful, because obviously it would be for you, but I have never seen a CAD program function in that manner.  Projections have always seem to operate in a 90deg increment method.

Jam_Jumpin
Advocate

Sometimes I want to show the front, both sides and the rear, but in order to get the rear I need to start a new command. 

I want Inventor to know that I've already placed a side view and offer me the rear view off of that. 

As seen in the image, the first three rectangles are what I want, but I also want the rear view to the left of the left view.

Currently I just get a second left view.

I don't know why I would need two left views so it would nice if we were offered the rear instead.

Capture.JPG

Tags (4)
niksasa
Collaborator
Jam_Jumpin
Advocate

No that is not the same thing. I already found that one before posting. 

I'm actually drawing it correctly with the right base view I just want an extra projection. 

Also the one you provide as a link has been set as 'solution provided' and is no longer under consideration, even though the user didn't actually provide a solution. 

Anonymous
Not applicable
Jam_Jumpin
Advocate

Yes, this is it. I searched but the keywords I used didn't bring up your idea. 

Thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

My reasoning for this is because I want to place these views at the same time as placing my base view. Less clicks = better.

I'd prefer to not have to do the extra work of placing a new base view and aligning it...and this gives you the option of projecting the opposite face without having top/bottom/side views at all.

Seems so simple to me. Just because it hasn't been done before in other CAD programs doesn't mean it can't catch on!

Jam_Jumpin
Advocate

I don't know how to delete this idea. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

No biggie, I think an admin will flag it as duplicate. I've done it several times before, sometimes it's not easy to find the right search terms.

dan_inv09
Advisor

I think it seems logical that if you place a projected view and then drag beyond it, it should project off that view - when you get back close enough to the base view it can go back to projecting off that one, but why would you want two or three identical views all in a row?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report