Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Continue Projected views

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
crmayo
670 Views, 7 Replies

Continue Projected views

In a drawing, if you create a top view, project a front and then try to project a bottom Inventor doesn’t recognize it should be a bottom view - it gives you another front.  

I would like Inventor to recognize that in this case, I have placed a front view and a bottom view is required.

This would apply to any view creation that has 2 or more projections in the same direction.

continued projection.jpg

Chris
Labels (1)
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
mrattray
in reply to: crmayo

I would argue that that is not proper drafting technique. The front view should be your base view in this example, from which you would project Top and Bottom views.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 3 of 8
crmayo

Right, not proper technique if I was drawing by hand,,,  Take advantage of the tools we have now, it shouldn't matter what view we start with.  Most everyone has picked the wrong starting base view at some point in time.

Chris
Message 4 of 8
BryanKelley

Hello crmayo,

Are you projecting the the "Bottom" view off from the initial "Top" or from the placed "Front"?  When Inventor projects an orthographic or isometric view, it only places the next "adjacent rotation of 90°".  It does not take into account how far away the user places said views, nor how many there are along that projection.  You will have to take the time to create the "Front" view, then project the "Bottom" view from it.

Thanks,

Bryan

Thanks,
Bryan

Sr. Software QA Engineer
DLS – Mechanical Design
Message 5 of 8
BryanKelley

Thanks,
Bryan

Sr. Software QA Engineer
DLS – Mechanical Design
Message 6 of 8
crmayo

Hi Bryan,  I am aware of the limitations we have while projecting views in Autodesk Inventor.  I’m not looking for a solution and it doesn’t seem right that you can select your own response as a “solution provided”.  If I wanted a solution I would have asked the question in the Inventor General forums.

From your own guidelines,,, “An IdeaStation is a way to share product improvement ideas directly with the developers”

I posted the idea because I thought other users would benefit from this option.  Not every idea is a winner, Autodesk really needs a new idea status of “declined” or “old idea” .. something.  Is an idea from 2012-11-02 still a “new” idea?  Someone at Autodesk should really be the Ideastation czar.

It’s really a shame how little Autodesk appears to be involved with this terrific product improvement platform they have given to users. 

Chris
Message 7 of 8
laptop_geek

I agree with crmayo on the fact that, while it may not be proper drafting technique for the 1950's, we are at a place in time where the program should be smart enough to do this for you if you changed your mind on your initial base view. It doesn't seem like it would be a difficult thing to implement, just a different way the current projected view command works.

Another way to do this would be a right click option that allows you to redefine your initial base view while in the projected view command.

Message 8 of 8
mikeh4

I also Agree with a Kudos would be a nice prdouct improvement.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report