Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Common text library for insertion into IDW

Common text library for insertion into IDW

Have a Library of commonly used text (user generated) to be dropped into a text block or dimension or leader or ....

7 Comments
dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Solution Provided
Hello, I believe sketched symbols functionality available in drawings today should satisfy your need. They do exactly what you have requested. "Provide a library of commonly used text to be dropped....". You can define text entities to be "prompted entires" AKA (user generated) as you indicate above. Sketched Symbols are available from within the Drawing Resources of every drawing and get stored within the Sketched Symbol folder as a library for quick access. Please look into this and comment back here if you require additional functionality that isn't already present within Sketched Symbols (or user defined symbols) today. Regards -Dan
BLHDrafting
Collaborator

Thanks Dan. I already use around a dozen sketched sysmbols in my IDW template. But that's not what I was after.

As an example I do a lot of work making making spigots (idler/ drive, joiner) for grain screw conveyorrs. These spigots fit into pipe (1", 1.24", 1.5", 2" etc...). Pipe ID varies a lot so on the IDW I drag a dimension off the machined end of the spigot and override the text with something like "MACHINE TO BE NEAT FIT INSIDE PIPE IUSED. MACHINISTS TO NOTE FINISHED SIZE ON THIS DRAWING". So in a typiucal drawing set for a grain auger I might do this 4 or 5 times. That is the sort of functionality I was after.

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Under Review
Changed from Solution Provided to Under Review.
hoser_71
Advocate

We could use this functionality as well.  We have a number of standard text notes that need to be added to dimensions.  We either have to edit the dimension and type it in, or create a different dimension style for each note.  It's not that we can't do it manually, but there should be a number of easier ways to do it.

For example, you should be able to right-click over a dimension and there's a drop down list of user defined text that get appended to the dimension text.  I would also expect the same notes available in the Edit Dimension dialog box.

Dim_Note.png

I would even take it a step further and give us the ability to apply text to a model parameter so when you do a retrieve dimension the notes come with it. 

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Gathering Support

inv.ideareview
Autodesk
Thanks for sharing your Idea. We use this forum to guide product development and help users in the best way we can based on voting. We occasionally merge Ideas or archive old ones to keep the forum working properly - it ensures there is room for people to review new Ideas and that the most relevant and meaningful ones can gain votes. We’re archiving this Idea because it's been on the board for well over a year and hasn't received many votes from the community. If you want to raise it again and try to gain more support, you're welcome to do so. We’ve found that pictures and mock-ups can help get concepts across and win more votes from other users. If you have questions or see a connection between this Idea and others, let us know. - Inventor product team (Inv.idea review)
inv.ideareview
Autodesk
Status changed to: Archived

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report