Inventor IdeaStation
Share your ideas about how to improve Inventor with the Development Team.
25 Kudos
karthur1

Change shape of IDW Detail View

by *Expert Elite* on ‎12-18-2012 08:39 AM

I would like to see the ability to change the shape of the detail view in an idw after it is placed.  The only way we can do this now is to delete the view and place a new one.  A simple task can turn into several minutes of work.

If I changed from circle to rectangle would you just want us to put a square around your existing circle and recompute? Or vice versa a circle around the shortest/longest axis of the rectangle it replaces? Or simply allow you to reselect the type and redefine the rectangle/circle?
Comments
by Employee steven.dennis on ‎01-28-2013 12:49 PM
Status changed to: Comments Requested
If I changed from circle to rectangle would you just want us to put a square around your existing circle and recompute? Or vice versa a circle around the shortest/longest axis of the rectangle it replaces? Or simply allow you to reselect the type and redefine the rectangle/circle?
by *Expert Elite* on ‎01-28-2013 01:16 PM

I was thinking just to reselect the type and redefine its size.  Would be nice if it would retain the anchor point (if it has one).

by Mentor on ‎03-06-2013 05:18 PM

Just give us access to a closed loop sketch in the regular sketch environment.  Limit to lines and arcs, or be nice and give us splines and ellipses too.  Then run a closed loop check before the sketch is closed for use, or refuse to save the sketch changes.  Build the sketch around an origin point that can't be moved, and use that as the origin point of the detail call out.  This is similar to custom viewport clipping features in AutoCAD.

jvj

by Valued Contributor Bill.Bogan on ‎05-23-2013 10:28 AM

It really is a shame to have to delete a Detail View, after creating it, simply because you want to change from Circular > Rectangular shape or vice versa. That little toggle would save so much work on the users part.

by *Expert Elite* on ‎06-03-2013 09:16 AM

Just ran into this on a drawing I'm working on, and came here to post this idea if it wasn't already here.  I have a detail view I'm going to have to delete from this drawing to change it from circular to rectangular.  Once I do, forever more the view labels will be messed up, counting one more detail view than actually exists.

Seems like a minor thing, but it gets incredibly annoying when you have to make this change on the second detail on a drawing that will be full of them, and all subsequent view labels will be defaulting to the wrong letter.

by *Expert Elite* on ‎06-13-2013 12:04 PM

Can't believe this doesn't have more votes - so frustrating.

by kevinb on ‎12-30-2013 12:01 PM

In addition, can we adjust the corners of a rectangle without having to move the center around?  It's annoying that I have to play with the origin point when I just want to use the two corners to position.  Maybe top left and bottom right do it one way and the other two do it the other?

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
IdeaStation Guidelines
Review guidelines and best practices
before posting a new idea.

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube