Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change in View in Part should update associated Drawing View

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
johnstda
790 Views, 7 Replies

Change in View in Part should update associated Drawing View

When a View within a Part is changed (i.e. bodies are turned on / off), the associated view in a Drawing should update accordingly. At the moment it is static. So once I've generated a Base or Project View in a Drawing, it doesn't update when I've changed that particular View in the part file. It should be linked together.

Labels (2)
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
jtylerbc
in reply to: johnstda

Unless I'm misunderstanding what you are asking for, it already does that.  In the Drawing View dialog box, do you have the "Associative" box checked for the View Representation?

Message 3 of 8
mikeh7

I'll take the soap box on this one.  Not sure if the "Associate View" answers johnstda's question, but this is a setting that has directly or indirectly defaulted to off forever, and it should be a mandatory check/turn on for my company.  I'm referring to IAMs and if we add parts to an iam the views may or may not update to include the new parts.  If it's checked, it updates.  Over the last few releases we can check it and it sticks when we restart inventor until you run into a file that has it unchecked, then your new default is unchecked.

I would greatly appreciate an application option for every IAM that opens I want it checked on for all views.  Inventor has this awesome power to udpate views automatically, but for some odd reason by nature of legacy files and before "Associate View" existed, 75% of our assemblies open w/ views unassociated.  If a person doesn't want the view to update then open w/ the Option to defer updates.

Thanks Much!

Mike Hilvers

Message 4 of 8
johnstda

No. I wasn't aware of that. That would make sense. Thanks for letting me
know.
Message 5 of 8
dan_szymanski

Dan Szymanski
Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 6 of 8
afrishman
in reply to: jtylerbc

I think what he, and I, and many others want is to NOT have to enable the checkbox on the view properties to enable the associativity. it should be on by default, IMO.

Message 7 of 8

Hi Dan,

I see this says "solution provided" but is that a way to default the associative check box?  If we place a view in our template, set it and delete the view, save the template, start a new drawing, sometimes its set and sometimes it doesn't.  Its almost like it remembers the assembly but doesn't work for everything.  Was just curious if a more global way to default all placed views to associative has been added?

Message 8 of 8

Hi Christi,

If I recall correctly, the options persist on a per view type and per source doc type basis. For example, if you create a base view of an assembly and you check the associative DV box, the next base view of another assembly will have it checked by default. Likewise, it works the same way for parts.

Many thanks! Stay safe!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report