Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Browser Folders in Part Environment

Browser Folders in Part Environment

Whilst I appreciate that we cannot move features up & down the browser without changing the Part (we are free to move components up & down in the Assembly, therefore browser folder 'restructurng' has no impact), it would be nice to have a second browser (ala the Vault browser) where we can sort, reorder, add to folders, the content of a file (group all extrusions, revolves, sketches etc)

Even if this was just a visual  display of the 'sorted' feature tree with no editing capability (maybe a right click option to 'Goto Feature' in main browser for editing) it would make it easier for finding, renaming etc

125 Comments
ic198
Advocate

At the top of the part browser tree there are folders automatically created for Solid Bodies and Surface Bodies. Two more automatic folders for Construction Geometry (planes, points axis etc.) and Sketches would be very useful

catot
Advocate

I also think more automatic folders for Sketches, Work Planes, and Work Axis would be very useful.

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Under Review

TylerKrause
Observer

I would like to have the ability to create custom folders in the .ipt browser exactly like you can in an assembly.  For example, if I have a bunch of work points I should be able to highlight the points, right click and selece "Add to Folder".  Just like in an assmbly.

3.PNG

Rajesh.Sivaswamy
Autodesk Support

I have this request from one of our Enterprise priority support customers wanting to have the option to create folders in part browsersto group features.

pospisil
Explorer

Hi,

hopefully I am not alone who would appreciate a chance to add a New Folder in the Browser Panel in Parts. This function exists in Assemblies and Drawings, but not in Parts. I believe this would increase lucidity and comfort in more complex parts.

jletcher
Advisor

May I ask what you will put in it?

pospisil
Explorer

All :))

inventor kudos mix.jpg

kevinb
Advocate

I don't know if this is possible since part modeling requires Order of Operation execution to remain constant.

johnstda
Enthusiast

It would be good to have the ability to use sub-folders within the Solid Bodies folder within a part. This way, similar bodies could be grouped together and single action could be used for the entire group of bodies within that folder. The main application I'm thinking of is hiding or showing groups of bodies by simply right-clicking on a sub-folder and hiding/showing all it's children sub-bodies.

Tags (3)

Tags (1)

I have been working with Solidworks in which you can group commands in a folder. From aesthetic point of view, it would be great if Inventor works the same way. 

TCMDESIGN_Group
Enthusiast

As many of us, especially when developing molded parts, create part models with 100's of features, it would be very help, imho, if I could group features within "folders" as in an assembly part to simplify finding features in the side browser.....a pop-up note/description field with the folder would be even more helpful....

adding a way of inserting "regen breaks" or a frozen marker within a part file - ie "all features above this line are to be unchanged and need not be rebuilt or regenerated" might also save calc resources

Tags (1)
dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Gathering Support

This Idea has already been requested here - http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-IdeaStation/Browser-Folders-in-Part-Environment/idi-p/3780620 Please be sure to visit the master idea, so as to not split up kudo votes. The master Idea has been accepted [US24735]. Thanks!

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Accepted

Accepted idea [401]. Thanks!

ravikmb5
Collaborator

+1

TheHangman
Collaborator

+ 1, its definitely something needed. 

scottmoyse
Mentor

Honestly.... this functionality exists largely just by using your selection filters in the Graphics Window. Your features are already organised logically on the actual part... change your selection filter to the type of object you want to edit or inspect, then simply select it and do what you will with it.

I would much rather see ease of use improvements there, than another browser view be added. It's more intuitive and doesn't require naming or organising. 

Ed.McCracken
Contributor

I would also like to be able to group features in the Part environment.

I will often have a set of features (extrusions, planes, fillets, etc) that are all listed together on the feature tree.

I wish I could select the group and add them to a folder.

Pro Engineer does this and calls them groups.

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Gathering Support

Hi Johnstda,

I am marking this Idea as a duplicate of this Idea:  http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideastation/browser-folders-in-part-environment/idi-p/3780620

As, if we receive them in parts, they will likely come along in MB parts as well.  Please be sure to cast your kudo to the master idea as to not split votes.  Thanks!  -Dan

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report