Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bring the presentation environment up to speed

Bring the presentation environment up to speed

Currently the ipn environment feels somewhat out of date, so here are some points i think could be improved:

1. Better design view / representation support
  2. Better selection options (like already posted window select idea)
  3. Folders for tweaks
  4. Folders from assembly remain
  5. Better / Custom trail editing

Clarification:

1. Currently you can only access the representations upon creation, if you want to change this afterwards you have to start over.
  2. There already was an idea for window select, that would be a good improvement.
  3. Grouping tweaks together in a folder to represent certain area's of the explosion.
  4. If an assembly already contains folders they should remain and perhaps even be selectable for tweaking all contained parts at once.
  5. Trails are made from the tweaks, but they often have a wrong/unusual starting point on a part. Being able to choose a start point/endpoint or making a trail line out of scratch would be nice.

Kind regards,

Niels.

14 Comments
dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Under Review

swalton
Mentor

Please don't forget to fix the problems with shaded ipn views not respecting changes to object colors that are controled with iam design views in an idw.  This has been broken for several releases.

rptandy
Contributor

You took the words right out of my mouth on all of the above. Only thing I think you missed was that even if you have component priority set to select component, you can't select an entire assembly in the window end to add it to a tweak - you have to use the browser.

DRoam
Mentor

Strongly agree on all points by -niels-, swalton, and rptandy.

On -niels-'s point 6, that's actually sort of available, but it's very unpredictable and "flakey". Not really usable. Toggling visibility of the custom trail and the default trail separately is very difficult. So even though the option is already there it greatly needs improvement.

On another note, I can't find the post, but one user suggested actually bringing presentations into the Assembly environment and doing away with *.ipn's altogether. I'm actually in agreement with this. Why have a completely separate file and environment for something that could easily be implemented into the actual assembly itself? Perhaps add "Presentations" to the "Representations" folder. I believe this would be much simpler and more effecient and automatically fix some of the issues stated above, such as assigning LOD's and selecting assemblies in the graphics window.

-niels-
Mentor

Having the ipn integrated into iam's would be a great option and would immediately clear out points 1, 2 & 4.

I haven't searched for that post, but if it's in the idea station then i wouldn't mind giving that a vote up either.

-niels-
Mentor

Adding to my list of improvements; i recently had to make an animation, which worked better then expected but:

The thing that i felt was lacking there was control of the timeline and speed of transitions between camera positions.

It would also have been nice if you could "reset" camera positions to "default" or rather remove a camera's position after it's been set.

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Accepted

Hello Niels,

This idea has been Accepted [US17331]. Thanks!

#2 is a duplicate idea (below is the master): http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-IdeaStation/Window-Select-in-Presentations/idi-p/3684114

#3 & #4 are duplicate ideas (below is the master): http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-IdeaStation/Presesntation-Evironment-Browser-Use-Assembly-Bro...

As for #5 I would suggest you author a new individual Idea on the idea station. It is best not to nest ideas beneath a master idea as it is difficult to quantify the need (kudos) when sub-workflows / functions exist. Hope that makes sense.

Thanks,

Dan

cgusi
Enthusiast

This environment isn't improved from lots of releases. It may be renew!

kwilson_design
Collaborator

To add:

I would love to have the ability to export my IPN out as a STEP or IGES file. Why this is not available has always baffled me.

detlef_ballack
Explorer

Make this API property available (means realy working) like described in the help file:

PresentationDocument.SelectSet Property

Parent Object: PresentationDocument

Description

Property that returns the SelectSet object.

Syntax

PresentationDocument.SelectSet() As SelectSet

Version

Introduced in Inventor version 5

JBerns
Advisor

Please add:

1. Capability to edit within the Animation dialog box.

• Edit tweak distance.
  • Edit Interval value for each sequence
  • Add/Remove components to a sequence

2. Capability to resize Animation dialog (and remember the size between sessions)

3. Capability to select components similar to assembly environment

9-11-2013 12-00-52 PM.png

JBerns
Advisor

4. Capability to format trail properties such as color, width, linetype, etc.

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Implemented

Portions of this (multi) idea have been implemented within Autodesk Inventor 2016 (specifically #1,2 & 5). Special thanks to the author of this Idea and likewise to everyone who cast your Kudo for it.

TomRich1445
Community Visitor

Would love #4!!
When there are 30+ components in an assembly it is hard to keep track of.

We create assembly folders to organize the parts. 

It would be nice if the .ipn recognized those folders.  At the least organize the tree in the order that is in the assembly file.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report