Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Break Dimension

Break Dimension

Can we get the drawing environment to automatically (or a choice at least) break dimension lines not just when it passes through text, but also when it crosses another dimension line

36 Comments
donniemann
Explorer

Also agree.  This has been possible in AutoCAD since R2008 and has also appeared ion the Inventor Wish List.  Needed ASAP!

BryanKelley
Alumni
Status changed to: Comments Requested
Hello Matt, Would you want it to be able to break the dimension line, the extension line, both? Would this be done automatically or would it require user input? Would this be something similar to AMDIMBREAK or DIMBREAK within AutoCAD Mechanical & AutoCAD? Thanks, -Bryan
MattH_Work
Collaborator

I'd say give us the option for either / or / both with regards to the dim line or extension line.

Automatic breaking (as a dimension style option) and also manual for one off's

MDS-MQ
Advocate

Wow! One of the first rules of drafting is NEVER have an extension line crossing a dimension line. If you follow the rules of good drafting practices you would not be asking for this option.

Auotdesk's guys should know better then do this kind of stuff. It really bothers me that the people creating the software do not actually know what it needs to do.

BryanKelley
Alumni

Hello MDS-MQ,

Yes, I am aware of the drafing standards.  I've used two of them commercially for >30 years.  However, simply because a standard exists shouldn't negate the fact that some users may have the need to modify their intellectual property as they see fit to accomodate their needs.

They may not be following any given standard, but they can still convey their design and manufacturing intent.

Bryan Kelley
Sr. Software QA Engineer
DLS – Mechanical Design

BryanKelley
Alumni
Status changed to: Under Review
This project [US14722] is under review by the development team.
dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Accepted

Accepted idea [430]. Thanks!

Yuka.Asao
Participant

It would be nice to break dimensions in the drawing sheet like AutoCAD Mechanical (AMDIMBREAK)

Overlapped dimensions or leaders are broke automatically.

See image for reference
I made the right sample by using sketch into the view.
It takes long time to do it.

sample.JPG

Thank you!

erazorzedge
Advocate

So is it going to be 3 or 4 years since this was accepted till it's implemented in Inventor.

Such basic requests that exist in AutoCAD should not take this long to implement in Inventor.

KarelC
Enthusiast

Ukázka_DXV 403 573.jpgHatching have a option for break by text or not. The option is on Document Settings.
It would be super the same option for break dimension lines by text. Sometime I have to write more text boxes because big text box destroy dimensions lines.

Tags (3)
DRoam
Mentor

It would also be great if we had an option for text boxes to only break dimension lines where there's actually text. This would pretty much always give the result you want without you having to worry about turning breaking text on or off.

mgarcia
Contributor

This is badly needed. Its in AutoCAD, so why is it not in Inventor?

erazorzedge
Advocate

Inventor 2017 still doesn't have proper drafting standards or even the same basic functionality as AutoCAD.

Can anyone from Autodesk tell us all why this isn't implemented yet? And then maybe a follow up as to why we should continue to recommend Inventor?

KJMaas
Contributor
I like Droam's suggestion and would add that control for the amount of white space around the text would be nice
KarelC
Enthusiast

I know how to make dimension without breaking lines. Projected dimensions are broken, actual dimensions are not broken.

In help I can't found how call this types of dimensions in english, but actual dimensions are primary in isometric views. The type can be changed in context menu of view.

This is function I tested in version 2016 and 2017.

Preruseni car.GIF

fabrice.dumas
Community Visitor

The same...

It is necessary to have way to break extension lines when they are crossing.

CATIA do this since many years...

I didn't find the solution in Inventor 2017

mgarcia
Contributor
Its well over due...I wonder if Solid Works has this feature!

Best regards

MIGUEL GARCIA
DRAFTING OFFICE SUPERVISOR
FLAVOURTECH PTY LTD
GRIFFITH NSW AUSTRALIA

T: +61 2 6964 4322
E: MGARCIA@FLAVOURTECH.COM
W: WWW.FLAVOURTECH.COM

CONNECT WITH US ON FACEBOOK

[cid:image001.jpg@01D238D2.48CC6C90]

Centritherm(r) and the Flavourtech "F" symbol are registered trademarks of Flavourtech Pty Ltd or its subsidiaries in the U.S. and in other countries. This e-mail is confidential and the property of Flavourtech Pty Ltd. If received in error please return to the sender and delete from your files.
MarisaZERE
Observer

This is pretty sad.  I always loved AutoCAD for how easy it was to make nice looking drawings that met drafting standards.  It looks like if I want to have a good looking drawings I have to export the views out of Inventor into AutoCAD.  What a waste of time and loss of functionality.  Fix the drafting!!! Why did you ruin it?  MDT had parametrics and great drafting.

ronald_plesh
Collaborator

We should be able to put dimensions to break lines in drawing views. Eyeballing the location break lines looks unprofessional.

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Future Consideration

We are refining procedures around idea status.  Changing this to Future Consideration.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report