35 Kudos
MattH_Work

Break Dimension

by Valued Contributor MattH_Work on ‎02-20-2013 07:07 AM

Can we get the drawing environment to automatically (or a choice at least) break dimension lines not just when it passes through text, but also when it crosses another dimension line

Accepted idea [US14722]. Thanks!
Comments
by donniemann on ‎02-20-2013 01:04 PM

Also agree.  This has been possible in AutoCAD since R2008 and has also appeared ion the Inventor Wish List.  Needed ASAP!

by Employee BryanKelley on ‎02-25-2013 03:14 PM
Status changed to: Comments Requested
Hello Matt, Would you want it to be able to break the dimension line, the extension line, both? Would this be done automatically or would it require user input? Would this be something similar to AMDIMBREAK or DIMBREAK within AutoCAD Mechanical & AutoCAD? Thanks, -Bryan
by Valued Contributor MattH_Work on ‎02-26-2013 12:28 AM

I'd say give us the option for either / or / both with regards to the dim line or extension line.

Automatic breaking (as a dimension style option) and also manual for one off's

by Contributor MDS-MQ on ‎02-27-2013 09:16 AM

Wow! One of the first rules of drafting is NEVER have an extension line crossing a dimension line. If you follow the rules of good drafting practices you would not be asking for this option.

Auotdesk's guys should know better then do this kind of stuff. It really bothers me that the people creating the software do not actually know what it needs to do.

by Employee BryanKelley on ‎03-01-2013 01:32 PM

Hello MDS-MQ,

Yes, I am aware of the drafing standards.  I've used two of them commercially for >30 years.  However, simply because a standard exists shouldn't negate the fact that some users may have the need to modify their intellectual property as they see fit to accomodate their needs.

They may not be following any given standard, but they can still convey their design and manufacturing intent.

Bryan Kelley
Sr. Software QA Engineer
DLS – Mechanical Design

by Employee BryanKelley on ‎03-01-2013 01:45 PM
Status changed to: Under Review
This project [US14722] is under review by the development team.
by Employee dan.szymanski on ‎03-14-2013 07:46 AM
Status changed to: Accepted
Accepted idea [US14722]. Thanks!

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
IdeaStation Guidelines
Review guidelines and best practices
before posting a new idea.

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube