Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dimensions in Sketch Symbols

Dimensions in Sketch Symbols

Have the possibility to place dimensions on Sketch Symbols that you can see when you place a Sketch Symbol in your drawing.

19 Comments
Dantevw1
Advocate

I wish it would be possible to constrain symbols on an IDW with dimensions. For example for the Center of gravity we use a specific symbol, and i need to put this on an exact place in the drawing.

It seems not to be currently possible.

Tags (3)
kmiller
Collaborator

I agree I was just doing a google search to see if this was possible.  Even just to snap a dimension to one would be nice and edit the dimension value (I know a big no no... I got my reasons.) ;o)  We use the Inventor .dwg format. 

DRoam
Mentor

@Rob67ert, you can do this now.

1. Create a sample part with the Parameter you want in it. Give it a name that you want to be referenced by your Sketched Symbol.
  2. From the Parameters window, find your parameter and check "Export Parameter".
  3. Open your drawing template (master file) and temporarily place your sample part.
  4. Create your Sketch Symbol and add a text field
  5. To insert your dimension into your text field, from the Properties dropdown, choose "Custom Properties - Model", and you'll then find your named dimension in the second dropdown list. Choose it, and then choose the Insert button (x with the arrow) to insert it into your text.
  6. Finish your Sketched Symbol, delete the view of your sample part, and save your drawing template.
  7. For any future parts, you just need to make sure that you name your desired dimension with the same name you did above and check "Export" on it so it's available to the Sketched Symbol. You might want to set up this dimension as a User Parameter in your Part Template so it's always available.

Rob67ert
Collaborator

@DRoam, A nice workaround. I'm a mechanical engineer, to work with your workaround takes a lot of time.

For now if I need it i make a sketch and take an image (jpg) of it and insert that in my Sketch Symbol.

DRoam
Mentor

Ohhh, I see what you mean now. I thought you wanted to insert a Parameter value into a Sketch Symbol's text box. But you want to pull a dimension annotation in a Sketch Symbol and have that visible when the symbol is placed. Sorry for misunderstanding.

I'm curious why you would want to do this. Could you post a picture of an example of what you want to achieve? I might be able to help you come up with a way to do it with Inventor's current capabilities, but I need to get a better idea of what you're after.

Rob67ert
Collaborator

For some of us it would be great to at some extra information:

Dim on sketch.JPG

Or look at this post: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-forum/visiblity-of-dimension/m-p/6807220#M627236

DRoam
Mentor

There's a very easy solution for that situation. Simply explode (AutoCAD command "EXPLODE") the dimension before copying and pasting into Inventor. Then it will paste as the shapes that make up the dimension and the Sketch Symbol will look just like the AutoCAD drawing does 🙂

Rob67ert
Collaborator

@DRoam, Why should we use AutoCAD if we have a very good tool like Inventor?

DRoam
Mentor

I'm definitely not recommending using AutoCAD. I'm just catering to the current workflow of the other user in the thread you linked to, as well as (it appears) yourself. It looks like you both are starting with a symbol that's already sketched out nicely in AutoCAD, and then importing that into an Inventor Sketch Symbol.

Really, for detailed little symbols like this, AutoCAD IS the better tool. Inventor is for modeling, design, and fabrication drawings, not for illustrative sketches.

Putting a dimension in a Sketch Symbol is a little odd in the first place because Sketch Symbols are 1:1 with the paper. So putting an Inventor Sketch dimension wouldn't make sense. Plus, Sketch dimensions don't look "pretty" like actual annotation Dimensions do. So it would need to be something where the dimension elements are drawn individually by hand. And Exploding an AutoCAD dimension is much easier than drawing the dimension by hand.

That said... if you wanted to do this the ultra-proper way, you would model up those parts, create a Section view of them in your drawing, pull any dimensions you need, and then copy and paste that View to whichever sheets you want. But then you would also have to make sure those model files are moved around with that drawing and copied to any other projects where you want that symbol in your drawing. The Sketched Symbol is much simpler. And there's nothing wrong with originally creating that Sketched Symbol in AutoCAD.

kennyj
Collaborator

Looking at the sample image provided, which appears to be an AutoCAD drawing, another option to DRoam's viable suggestions is to start a new part in Inventor.  Create a new sketch, then copy/paste the AutoCAD detail into the sketch.

(At this point I will select all and "fix" the lines.  I have found the parts perform better down the road with less undefined/unconstrained lines).

Then in your Inventor drawing, place the part created above.  You will need to use the "Get Model Sketches" option as the part will appear blank (no geometry).  From here you can then change the scale of the view to increase, decrease size (note the dimensions will grow/shrink with this method - so make the view scale large enough to read).  Create a new part for all your common "Symbols", then you can place the part files in any drawing as needed.

(Note: some of my co-workers will add a simple rectangle around the sketch and extrude it to create geometry.  They leave the detail sketch visible, but this helps them when they place the part to see where the sketch will show up and make sure the sketch plane is facing the viewer, etc.  As long as the view is not shaded, the geometry provides a nice border).

We use the above approach all the time to bring Revit/AutoCAD floor plans into Inventor for location/key plans.

TAR_Loki
Collaborator

Hi together,

yesterday i tried to create a sketch symbol like you can see on the picture below.

But it won't work.

I only can create an symbol without any dimensions on it and this is something, that is not acceptable for the FDS.

The reason, why it isn't acceptable is, that when I create an company plan and make my 2D drawgs with details, I always have to tell the customer over that drawing, how the flanges have to look.

My idea is to make it possible, to create symbols with dimensions and the possibility, to make dimensions visible, like in normal sketches.

Or what also could be an diea, to tranfomate the sketch symbol back to a normal sketch, whre I can do everything, what I have done before, to create this sketch.

Greetings,

Sven

Skizzensymbole_mit_Beaßungen.png

Rob67ert
Collaborator

Hi Sven,

The idea you like is what I already suggested.

If you vote for it the change that Autodesk will implement it in the next update or release will get better 🙂

transpacbe
Advocate

The ideas in this thread are good food for thought and seem like viable workarounds.

The concept of creating a sketch within the Inventor drawing environment, then exiting the sketch and being able to dimension or annotate it using the "pretty" dims etc that are meant to be shown on the drawing, and then save it to a library and be able to recall it, copy and paste it at will, and add it to any sheet you'd like seems incredibly useful, and something I'd use all the time in my workflow.

I'm thinking of company standard details or job-wide standard details that don't need to be modeled in detail everywhere they occur.

Using Inventor to do it also means that the sketches could be parametric and more easily altered if need be, globally on the whole drawing set, instead of a more static detail like an image or copy and paste from AutoCAD.

Sketch symbols seem to be the closest thing to this functionality to me, unless I'm using the wrong technique?

Good idea, hope it garners lots of support!

Ben

A.Acheson
Mentor

The option to have dimension visible  in the drawing environment is a must. If you want to create a detail drawing view you have to recreate the dimension from scratch. Incredibly time consuming especially when you are looking at the dimension you want to use but can’t 😭 

C_Haines_ENG
Collaborator

It would be very useful to be able to move sketch symbols based on dimensions that can attach to a model view. 

This way if you don't want to add a specific feature to the model you can represent it with a sketch symbol and also show its position. 

Tags (4)
S_Wiglinghoff
Observer

Many good ideas. Can we make dimensions to sketch symbols in Inventor 2023?

Yijiang.Cai
Autodesk
Status changed to: Under Review

Many thanks for posting the idea to us, and tracked as [INVGEN-74077]

Yijiang.Cai
Autodesk
Status changed to: Future Consideration

SteveK88
Enthusiast

This idea is similar.  Not the same but similar.

Include Sketch Point or sketch geometry in Drawing view from Sketch Symbol

Include Sketch Point or sketch geometry in Drawing view from Sketch Symbol - Autodesk Community

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea