Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ballon Numbers for Assembly detail parts

Ballon Numbers for Assembly detail parts

When creating small to meduim assembly drawings you quite offten want to detail all the parts on the same drawing. When doing this I want to be able to ballon these parts with the same number as the parts list. I know you can link part numbers etc to theses but I still want the option to this. I propose a new button on the ribbon for this.

10.JPG

7 Comments
kevinb
Advocate

There's several ways I can think to do this:

A) Build the parts manually with the "place content center parts" option.  The advantage of this is that you don't need to redrill any holes if you change the size of the part.  This also has the advantage of not spitting out a string of microns accuracy after each length like the frame generator does.  It's not really viable for large projects, but it's easily doable for small ones where everything is cut to length on the floor instead of mass produced to length.

B) You add your modifications in the assembly level instead of the part level.  This means that the holes/length changes you make aren't included.

C) Wait for "reuse member" to be released.

Ben-Cornelius
Collaborator

I think you have completely missed the point I was trying to make. The image is just an example I am referring to detailing the parts from any assembly on the same drawing not just frames and having the ability to identify these parts with the correct balloon numbers that are linked to the parts list.

kevinb
Advocate

I was thinking that you were trying to merge the item number for similar part numbers.  I.E.: items 1 and 3 are essentially identical except for some fractions of an inch, so you've actually only got two different lengths of material, one for the vertical legs, and one for the table head, items 1 and 3 should be merged, yes? 

OR are you trying to keep them from merging similar part numbers?

Edit: Wait, are you trying to make it so that the balloons recognize which part file they're referencing from the super assembly?

I.E.: You've got a Base View of the assembly iam file and a Base View of the individual leg ipt file and you're trying to balloon the ipt file with the item number from the assembly file?  If that's the case, then the only work around I know about is to make a Representation View of the assembly with everything but the part you want detailed set to invisible.  I suspect there's coding restrictions on the ability to reference a part file with an assembly file as even if you make Inventor recognize that it's pointing to a part file that's used within an assembly.

Here's something I suggested and tell me if it looks similar to what you want.

http://forums.autodesk.com/autodesk/attachments/autodesk/v1232/3551/2/Manipulator%20Carriage%20Miter...

Ben-Cornelius
Collaborator

Yes Exactly so you can identify detailed parts by the assembly item numbers. I know you can use view reps but the problem there is the drawing gets very heavy plus you have the problem of components then being added. You also can pick up on the part number properties etc but you should have this option.

kevinb
Advocate

Components being added isn't much of a problem, using the right click->lock function on a view prevents any new parts that are added from becoming visible.  So if you've got part 1 detail from the assembly and parts 2 to 8 turned off, lock it.  Adding parts ten to a million will also be invisible after the view is locked.

I'm going to try and guess at how the coding in Inventor works, based on known behavior and what little coding I understand.  This is not to say "this thing cannot be done" but "what I know of the coding would require massive rewrites/new code".

The main issue I see with trying to implement it is that the part file cannot have a reference to the assembly unless it's made adaptive.  Since the part is the only part within the part file (tautological, I know), the drawing file cannot really know that the one part file you want to detail is also a part within an assembly (which in turn, is just a bunch of references to part files and some constraints) unless you operate through the assembly file. 

Whatever changes are made have to go through either the assembly file, as I suggested here, or have to be done through new functionality that uses something like what Quick View does,, similar to what I suggested here.

inv.ideareview
Autodesk
Thanks for sharing your Idea. We use this forum to guide product development and help users in the best way we can based on voting. We occasionally merge Ideas or archive old ones to keep the forum working properly - it ensures there is room for people to review new Ideas and that the most relevant and meaningful ones can gain votes. We’re archiving this Idea because it's been on the board for well over a year and hasn't received many votes from the community. If you want to raise it again and try to gain more support, you're welcome to do so. We’ve found that pictures and mock-ups can help get concepts across and win more votes from other users. If you have questions or see a connection between this Idea and others, let us know. - Inventor product team (Inv.idea review)
inv.ideareview
Autodesk
Status changed to: Archived

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report