Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automatic break lines in cropped views

Automatic break lines in cropped views

It would be nice if the cropped view put break lines in at the edges of the cropped part/view.  As it is now, Inventor just puts straight lines at the edges of the crop that could be mistaken as the edge of the part.  I have to sketch break lines in everytime.

Capture3.JPG

31 Comments
steve.west
Advocate

I agree this would be great, as would the ability to turn break lines off which would be a time saver.

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Accepted

Accepted idea [440]. Thanks!

fbk
Advocate
Advocate

In a drawing, make a view and CROP the view. You'll get an continious line at the end.

I want that line to be a BREAK-line, just line the command "Break".

Thanks in advance, Fred Bellekom

timdown73
Collaborator
DWhiteley
Advisor

I agree, the crop function in its present form is dangerous!

DuncanAnderson
Collaborator

There is slight, not enough, control over the boundaries for Detail Views. Why can’t we have control over the boundaries for Crop and Break-Out Views?

I would suggest we need the following; Straight, Jagged, Smooth & Cloud.

Straight would be square, rectangle or polygon box.

Jagged would be a saw-cut possible contained within square, rectangle or polygon boxes that are only ‘visible in sketch’.

Smooth spline would be contained within square, rectangle or polygon boxes that are only ‘visible in sketch’.

Cloud with inner points contained within square, rectangle or polygon boxes that are only ‘visible in sketch’.

By containing the above shapes, it becomes easier to manipulated them later if needed.

jtylerbc
Mentor

I currently get most of what I need out of Crop and Break-Out by editing the sketch and making it splined or jagged as desired.  However, even though I can typically produce the look I need with the current tools, it could be done much more easily and more efficiently with options like you are describing.

I would even go so far as to say that Crop should default to a splined or jagged boundary, particularly if the boundary actually passes through geometry.  Cutting it off with straight lines can give the impression that the entire part/assembly is actually being drawn, when in reality it is being truncated.  I don't remember ever having used Crop in a situation where a straight edge cutting off my geometry was actually what I wanted.

DuncanAnderson
Collaborator

I've sometimes used a bounding box to hold the jagged or spline in place and allow for easier changes.

I've noticed that if there isanother bounding box inside and even if it is set as 'Visible in Sketch Only' the Break Out tool still sees it and gets confused.

It would be helpful if there was consistency arcoss these tools.

karthur1
Mentor

@timdown73 wrote:

It would be nice if the cropped view put break lines in at the edges of the cropped part/view.  As it is now, Inventor just puts straight lines at the edges of the crop that could be mistaken as the edge of the part.  I have to sketch break lines in everytime.

How about just right-clicking on the crop in the browser and unselect "Display crop cut lines".

2015-01-30_1159.png

timdown73
Collaborator

That's not what the idea is about.  The idea is to put actual "break lines" in the cropped view.  Not crop lines that can be mistaken for edge lines.

karthur1
Mentor

In the interim, rather than having the crop lines shown (that could be misinterepted) turn them off and they will not be show.  That is what I do so they are not mistaken for actual lines in the model.

timdown73
Collaborator

I've got a work around already by drawing by (sketching) in break lines.  That's tedius.  I could turn them off but I feel that's not a good option and get's misenturpreted by guys in our shop that need to be able to easily and quickly read a drawing.  Thanks for your input though.

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Gathering Support
steve.west
Advocate

When I crop a view, I prefer not to have lines where components are cut-off, I find the view is clearer without, but to achieve this I have to go through the view and make all these lines invisible. If the view is shaded, then it's not a problem as in this instance it's better with the lines.

Can we not have a check-box option to either generate or not generate these cut-off lines? Or even perhaps generate a jagged line as seen on detail views?

Tags (4)
neil.merris
Contributor

@dan_szymanski The address you posted for the duplicated idea is the same link as this thread, which makes it a duplicate of itself. If you would, please keep this as an "Accepted Idea".  I would also appreciate this function in Inventor drawings.

dan_szymanski
Autodesk

@neil.merris Hi Neil, this Idea is alive and well and is still currently set as "Accepted" (to prove it select the Accepted Ideas filter and click on page7 (as of 12/10/2015).  The message above occurred when I linked another idea as "duplcate" of this one.  Unfortunatley the history of the older link was blown away and it used the link of the Master Idea.  😞  Oh well.  Sorry for any confusion here. -Dan

DWhiteley
Advisor

So we have jagged edges on partial sections.

What about adding jagged edges to cropped views? (Cropped views being one of the most dangerous commands in the drawing view tools - because the cut edge is a straight line!)

Dave

Envisage

jtylerbc
Mentor

This would be great.  Currently I deal with this by making my crops using a spline instead of a rectangle, but I would love to be able to just use the default rectangle and select a jagged line option.

TheDrizzle
Contributor

Adding my support for this.

We often use this type of jagged cut when cropping a view. So far I have had to draw the jagged part into the crop sketch and then sketch the extension lines on top of the view. Would be awesome for this to be done by Inventor.

Jagged.JPG

DRoam
Mentor

@Discussion_Admin / @dan_szymanski, the following are duplicates:

(Side note: The confusion above could have been avoided if the following Idea were implemented: When Ideas are merged, show which thread comments were originally on. Please consider voting for it!)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report