Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto Weld symbols

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
Jam_Jumpin
4458 Views, 11 Replies

Auto Weld symbols

To me the hweld symbols seem broken. 

I type in teh all the information in a weldment to create a weld. 

Then I have to re-enter all this information either in teh drawing or as a weld symbol in teh weldment. 

What is the point of doing it twice?

I should be able to click on teh weld symbol tool and click on a weld in teh drawing to auto populate it. 

Tags (2)
Labels (1)
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Hi  jamjumpin,

You should be able to do exactly what you're wanting to do in a weldment.

Try this:

1. Create a weld bead.
  2. Use the Weld Symbol tool and then select the bead, and then add the inforamtion to the symbol form.
  3. Then create a drawing view of the weldment and do one of the following:
  • Right-click on the view and choose Get Model Annotations > Get Weld Symbols
  • Click the Weld Symbol tool and select an edge of an existing weld bead to retrieve the weld infomation.

If you're unsure about how a tool works you might want to post questions on the forum page first. rather than here on the Idea Station:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/bd-p/78

If you confirm that the tool will not do what you want, then creating an Idea here, might be the way to go.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 3 of 12
Jam_Jumpin
in reply to: Jam_Jumpin

No, you see that's the exact thing I'm talking about. 

You create a weld bead and then you type all that exact same information into the weld symbol tool. 

Why do I need to type this twice? The information is already in the weld feature. 

Message 4 of 12

Hi  jamjumpin,

My apologies, but I'm not sure I understand your request still. Is it possible you're missing the Fillet Weld Linking option?

To clarify this for the developers can you provide some clear steps where you're having to add the information twice.

Here's an example of using the fillet weld linking option, in case that that helps:

1. Create a Fillet Weld.
  2. Use the Create Welding Symbol checkbox to add the welding symbol as you create the bead.
  3. Select the Current Bead option in the Fillet Weld Linking dropdown.
  4. Now add the Leg Lengths for the fillet weld and make the selections.
  5. Change the Contour option.
  6. Set the bead to be intermittent

All of these things are linked to the weld symbol, does that help?

Message 5 of 12
Jam_Jumpin

I knew I'd seen that create symbol before but it's not there when you edit the weld for some reason so I couldn't find it. Yes, the way you say does stop you having to enter it twice, but only if you remember to click that box when creating the weld. 

I think it would be much easier if the weld symbol worked in the same way as the hole and thread feature annotation tool. It's far too overly complicated right now compared to the hole annotation tool. 

Message 6 of 12

@Anonymous wrote:
Yes, the way you say does stop you having to enter it twice, but only if you remember to click that box when creating the weld.

Actually if you forget to create the symbol when the bead is created, then you can use the Weld Symbol tool, and then select the weld bead on screen, and then select the bead name from the Fillet Weld Linking dropdown, and the information you entered when creating the bead will be retrieved into the symbol.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 7 of 12
Jam_Jumpin

Thank you, that's very helpful, but I still think the way I proposed would be much easier. 

Also I personally don't like to see notes and text floating around in 3d models anyway. 

Message 8 of 12

@Anonymous wrote:
Also I personally don't like to see notes and text floating around in 3d models anyway.

One more tip then: You can select all of the weld symbols in the browser and then right-click and choose Symbol Visibility to set them invisible, then you won't have them floating around in the 3D models.

Message 9 of 12
LT.Rusty

One other thing that would be great - and would make the weld symbol tool actually USEFUL - is if it would store numbers as fractions rather than as decimal.  As it is, the guys that do the welding flat-out refuse to try and figure out the decimal-fraction conversions, and apparently they're too dumb to just remember that .25 = 1/4, so I don't even get to use the built-in weld symbol tool.

Rusty

EESignature

Message 10 of 12
dan_szymanski

Dan Szymanski
Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 11 of 12
Anonymous

I can only use the weld symbol auto populate on "base" views. I can't pull the weld symbols in a section view. I right click and it lets me select the "get weld symbols" but nothing happens. am I doing something wrong or is this just the way it is?

Message 12 of 12
Anonymous

I agree with you as 100%.  For me, the way it work right now is useless.  Specially since the auto weld return decimal value instead of fraction...

This thread should be in the idea section and merge with https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideas/automatic-welding-symbol-in-drawing-annotation-tab/idi...

Best regards,

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report