Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Assembly BOM: Propagate item number to children

Assembly BOM: Propagate item number to children

All BOM Rows under the first level have Item Numbers that starts with the parent Item Number they belong to and than have some additional progressive numbers like ".1", ".2", ".3", and so on.
If I open a second level assembly and that take a look at the BOM information on this assembly I get different ItemNumber.

Top Level -> Assembly1.iam
Level 1 -> (100) Part1.ipt
Level 1 -> (200) SubAssembly1.iam
Level 2 -> (200.1) Part2.ipt

Assembly1.iam opened, read the BOM and got:
ItemNumber=100 for Part1.ipt
ItemNumber=200 for SubAssembly1.iam
Itemnumber=200.1 for Part2.ipt.
but if I open "SubAssembly1.iam" and read the BOM I get:
ItemNumber=201 for Part2.ipt  which is not the same I got from the top level.

Wish from customer is to get same item number as defined in the top level:
"SubAssembly1.iam" and read the BOM to get: Itemnumber=200.1 for Part2.ipt. 

13 Comments
kevinb
Advocate

Strongly support.  This would make multilevel assemblies so much easier to work with.

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Accepted

Accepted idea [US-51528]. Thanks!

jparks_79
Collaborator

Yes Yes Yes 🙂

This would be very nice

Ktomberlin
Advocate
In an effort to bring this to the forefront and try and get more Kudos from other users. What is happening is for any sub assembly that is viewed from an upper level the Model data order is what is shown on the bill of materials, not the Structured data (what most people use for bill of materials on drawings). Also if you are exporting an all levels bill of material, your item numbers will not match the sub assemblies unless nothing has been changed since the sub assembly was created,
Ktomberlin
Advocate

When creating assemblies that have sub-assemblies contained in them, the Structured bill of materials from the sub-assembly is not propagated to the upper level assembly. The order that is propagated is from the model data tab, not the structured tab. If nothing has been changed, added or removed from your sub-assembly, then the two tabs will be identical. If anything has changed, they will be out of sync and not reflect the desired order. Additionally, if you make a change to the sub-assemblies structured or model tab after the upper level assembly is created the change won’t be reflected in the structured tab of the upper level, when all levels are shown. The BOM information is a snap shot of the model data tab at the time of creation of the upper level assembly. This issue has been brought up before in different ways, like here http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideastation/assembly-bom-propagate-item-number-to-children/id... There should be an application/document option to enable a parametric interaction of the different levels of the bill of materials structured data. It shouldn't just be a snap shot at the time of assembly creation, that does not reflect the current state of the sub assembly.

Original Title:  Bill of Materials Sub Assembly Item Number and part order propagation (updated by Dan)

kulasekarandamodaran
Participant

This workaround is very difficult to users . Autodesk should provide  the hotfix to overcome this issue. Please let me know for the EP customers what next step we should follow to get this fix?

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Future Consideration

We are refining procedures around idea status.  Changing this to Future Consideration.

shawnmann
Participant

We could really use this.  Incredibly important for automating multi-level BOM transfers to our ERP system.  As it is right now, we will likely have to go one level at a time.

Ktomberlin
Advocate
Currently, the users have to go to the upper level. expand the Bill of materials and manually edit the order and renumber them. This is time consuming but allows BOM importation from the upper level. If you have multiple levels, you have to open up every level and repeat the operation.
CamperUnhappy
Advocate

So where are we on this????

This idea was accepted 4 years ago and still not a peep.

I've spend weeks working on a tool for my addin that carries down the top level BOM item numbers to all the contained sub-assemblies......but this kind of stuff should be native in the software. 

stevenL2ZFM
Advocate

I see this is still an issue and Autodesk has gone dark regarding an "idea accepted".  The lack support here has made using a Master BOM for purchasing not possible.  A master BOM is the gold standard for countless industries and Inventor falls short. Autodesk has the Structured BOM setup, and it seems like it should work... but it doesnt. Fix it autodesk.  As of now, purchasers need to comb through sometimes hundreds of drawings, instead of using one filterable excel export. Thumbs down Autodesk... two big thumbs down.

CamperUnhappy
Advocate

This is extremely disappointing that this STILL has not been implemented into Inventor.  I'm currently in the middle of re-writing a huge piece of code that I use to handle harmonizing item orders and updating item numbers to match the top level BOM to make use of the new Model States functionality........which is code that I really shouldn't even need to be writing because the software should be able to do this.

If this has truly been "accepted"  can we at least get some information as to whether this is being worked on at all?  Or rather if there is anything to show for it at this point?

Bellmer-CAD-Admin
Contributor

Something new here? one more year accepted but nothing happens...

it is really annoying that the BOM of child assemblies is not shown one-to-one in expanded parent BOMs. It is even randomly shuffled, which makes reworking large expanded assemblies very time-consuming.

at the moment we sometimes can use a work around: we put a 2nd main view on the drawing from the child assembly and use this for the BOM...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report