Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Appearance, Section View - ability to interrogate sectional views

Appearance, Section View - ability to interrogate sectional views

When viewing a Part or Assembly in the Views Section model it would be quite valuable if the section 'view' was more than just a view but was a proper section that could be measured and interrogated for information, - currently the View Section is just a View and cannot be measured.

section.jpg

9 Comments
swalton
Mentor

While your are at it, please make assembly section views have hatch lines, not the concrete texture.  It can be hard to see the boundry between two parts that have the same color assignment.

sales
Contributor

That's a great idea, - maybe having a 'choice' of hatch 'textures and/or lines' would be good - controlled via Application settings.

I'd like to see the section profile outlined too, - or better still see the outline profile on items that I select, - then they are available for measurement.

Currently the only method of measuring from a section is to physically cut the part in two, or section it in the .dwg file and measure it there.

jtylerbc
Mentor

Another workaround is to create a workplane instead of a section view, then sketch on it.  Use Project Cut Edges, then you can measure the sketch geometry (or use driven dimensions).

sales
Contributor
​That's a good idea,

I usually create a .dwg drawing and add a section as it can be measured and
dimensioned.​

I'm just trying to avoid the work around !!
Cadmanto
Mentor

Also, the ability to create these sections using multiple planes  for creating irregular sections.  Without having to create an assemnbly cut.  Then have the ability to import these sections into a drawing.

neil.hamilton
Enthusiast

Concrete is really really distracting, yes please a nice FAINT cross hatching or other easily seen yet not so brutal pattern would be helpful. I agree wholly with this suggestion, it would be great if you could also constrain parts while in section mode.....

Mark_Wigan
Collaborator

yep, sometimes it would be very nice to be able to measure on these model section views, but if the additional information is gonna bog the machine down at all, then perhaps it could be asked for on demand, it may be better for the user then to be able to choose whether they require it or not, so as to keep the processing needs at a minimum.

sales
Contributor

Yes, - I think that's a good solution, - the option would be nice.

Yijiang.Cai
Autodesk
Status changed to: Under Review

Many thanks for posting the idea, and tracked as [INVGEN-65443]

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report