Inventor IdeaStation
Share your ideas about how to improve Inventor with the Development Team.
53 Kudos
gcross

Analyze Interference-Make & retain a measurable red solid out of the result

by Distinguished Contributor gcross on ‎01-17-2013 07:40 PM

When you find an interference in an assembly you cannot measure the resulting red interference to help you accurately eliminate the interference. As soon as you start to measure the red interference goes away.

The information you get is not very practical to a lot of us. Who cares about the centroid & the volume? We just need the distance to change the parts to quickly eliminate the interference.

The dialog box should have a check box to retain the interfering solid for long enough to measure it & without adding the solid as a new part, of course.

Mechanical Desktop did this very well.

Gary

Accepted ideas [US14609] [US14610]. Thanks!
Comments
by Valued Contributor MattH_Work on ‎01-18-2013 04:30 AM

Didn't I see an addin somewhere that would build a new part / solid from the interference between components?

Although this can be done via an addin, it does seem like is should be built in. you generate the graphics already (the hard work is done) just let them remain on screen afterwards

by *Expert Elite* on ‎01-28-2013 01:20 PM

It would also be helpful if it didnt show interference between threaded holes and the fastener.  When I run an interference check, that makes up 99% of the volume.  Its hard to decifer this out to find the "Real" interference.

by Valued Contributor cadull_rb on ‎01-28-2013 02:12 PM

+1 for option to ignore thread interference

by Employee on ‎02-25-2013 09:10 AM
Status changed to: Under Review
These projects [US14609] [US14610] are under review by the development team.
by Employee on ‎03-12-2013 01:32 PM
Status changed to: Accepted
Accepted ideas [US14609] [US14610]. Thanks!
by *Expert Elite* on ‎04-19-2013 11:05 AM

I wouldn't use the word "ignore" for threads, I would say "let's be intelligent about thead interference". I think Inventor is smart enough to ignore two 1/4-20 threads that are interfering while still flagging out that you have a 1/4-20 screw in a #10-24 hole.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
IdeaStation Guidelines
Review guidelines and best practices
before posting a new idea.

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube