Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Analyze Interference-Make & retain a measurable red solid out of the result

Analyze Interference-Make & retain a measurable red solid out of the result

When you find an interference in an assembly you cannot measure the resulting red interference to help you accurately eliminate the interference. As soon as you start to measure the red interference goes away.

The information you get is not very practical to a lot of us. Who cares about the centroid & the volume? We just need the distance to change the parts to quickly eliminate the interference.

The dialog box should have a check box to retain the interfering solid for long enough to measure it & without adding the solid as a new part, of course.

Mechanical Desktop did this very well.

Gary

9 Comments
MattH_Work
Collaborator

Didn't I see an addin somewhere that would build a new part / solid from the interference between components?

Although this can be done via an addin, it does seem like is should be built in. you generate the graphics already (the hard work is done) just let them remain on screen afterwards

karthur1
Mentor

It would also be helpful if it didnt show interference between threaded holes and the fastener.  When I run an interference check, that makes up 99% of the volume.  Its hard to decifer this out to find the "Real" interference.

cadull_rb
Advocate

+1 for option to ignore thread interference

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Under Review
These projects [US14609] [US14610] are under review by the development team.
dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Accepted
Accepted ideas [US14609] [US14610]. Thanks!
mrattray
Advisor

I wouldn't use the word "ignore" for threads, I would say "let's be intelligent about thead interference". I think Inventor is smart enough to ignore two 1/4-20 threads that are interfering while still flagging out that you have a 1/4-20 screw in a #10-24 hole.

christian.little
Explorer

I've just recently moved to inventor 2015 from Solid Edge, which did this very well. You could save the interference as a new part so that you could reference it out of the assemblly level.

I'm assuming these changes US14609 and US14610 have not been implemented yet?

Thanks

asiu
Advocate

I am doing this now (as a work-around) by creating a derived part and using the "Subtract" Boolean operation.

I would suggest for the current idea to have to option to save the result of the interference as a part file. 

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Future Consideration

We are refining procedures around idea status.  Changing this to Future Consideration.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report