Inventor IdeaStation
Share your ideas about how to improve Inventor with the Development Team.
3 Kudos
steve.west

Alternative Applications for Roller Chain Designer

by Contributor steve.west on ‎02-11-2013 01:32 PM

I would like to see the ability to use Roller Chain Designer to design systems where the chain is NOT a loop or part of a drive. We use roller chain to connect a furnace door to a counterweight (see photo). This would be very useful.

Comments
by sparkin208 on ‎04-25-2013 02:02 PM

I agree. Chains get used in alot of situations outside of just loops. There are times where chains can be used to move something around a corner using an idler sprocket and I haven't been able to figure out a good way to constrain that to show the actual movement.  Along with chains a similar setup for cable or rope around pulleys or guides would be nice. 

by Contributor steve.west on ‎04-25-2013 03:49 PM
Yes! Good point about the cable. We use cables as well and these are a pain to model; plus you can't get motion constraints.

Best Regards
Steve West
Design Engineer
Alltherm Engineering Ltd
Designers & Manufacturers of Thermal Processing Equipment

Sent from my iPhone
by Valued Mentor on ‎07-25-2013 08:02 PM
The Roller Chain DA is great. But it needs the ability to make chain/sprocket couplings (2 simplex sprockets inline with a piece of duplex chain around the 2 teeth runs and a chain link). The DA can't be used to create this chain run. Currently I custom model the chain as a loop around the sprocket teeth.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
IdeaStation Guidelines
Review guidelines and best practices
before posting a new idea.

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube