Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Allow the user to tun off the mini-toolbars / in canvas tools

Allow the user to tun off the mini-toolbars / in canvas tools

Unfortunately, Autodesk has not provided the ability to turn off the mini toolbars, so we're stuck with the current strange Jekyll and Hyde interface, which is cluttered, distracting and in many cases incomplete.

Most user would benifit from being able to use either the dialog interface or the mini-toolbars, but having both is a problem.

Currently the best we can do is roll up the dialog box:

33 Comments
KevinBurrows
Enthusiast
Actually, you can turn off the mini toolbars. Autodesk calls them the Marking Menus. From the wikihelp for Inventor: Note To disable the marking menu, select View tab->Windows panel ->User Interface, and on the drop-down menu, clear the Marking Menu check box. I found this by going to http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/inventor and searching for "marking menu". That will lead you to this page: http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Inventor/enu/2013/Help/1310-Autodesk1310/1364-Fundamen1364/1416-Modelin... Read through the topics there to learn more about how to control and customize the marking menus. Now, since marking menus seem to be the way of the future, it would be great to be able to turn off the old dialog boxes for commands which have marking menus, but I haven't done a search for that yet. 🙂
Curtis_Waguespack
Consultant

Hi KevinBurrows,

The marking menus are different than the mini-toolbars / in canvas tools that I am referring to. I refer to the option you mention here:

http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com/2011/04/bring-back-classic-right-click-menu-in.html

But I'm not aware of a way to disable the mini toolbars or the dialog boxes, and so we are stuck using both, which as I mentioned causes some issues.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

jletcher
Advisor

Don't worry Curtis 2014 no more dialog just minis'

Mark_Wigan
Collaborator

i aggree, i would like to disable the mini tool bar if it was possible. it only gets in the way for me.

speaking of that, on a closely related topic, the other thing that gets in the way is the select other miniature scroll bar... it would not be so bad if it stayed out of the way when you drag it out of the the way.

you cannot see anything if it sits directly on what you are trying to select! (i will start a new idea if this is too much of an idea hijack...)

LT.Rusty
Advisor

The mini toolbar things absolutely are an annoyance.  Every time I start doing a large group of fillets, when the tool bar moves after clicking an edge, it almost INVARIABLY winds up covering the next spot that I need to click on.

I wound up freezing the mini toolbars in position, and then dragging them off to my second monitor.  Me and my full-size dialog boxes can now be happy together without that third wheel hanging around.

MegaJerk
Collaborator

Couldn't agree more. They are in no way robust enough to provide any reasonable function in most of your work. 

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Under Review
This project [US9876] is under review by the development team.
QuasiMojo
Advocate

Also, some menus (e.g., Inventor Studio) automatically roll-up without any way of disabling that, which makes me feel like the software is having seizures.  Death to the mini-toolbar!

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Accepted
Accepted idea [US9876]. Thanks!
mrattray
Advisor

Being forced to have both the mini toolbars and dialog boxes is silly, but please don't fix this by removing the dialog boxes and leaving me stuck with those silly, shiny, rainbow-fart mini toolbars. There's nothing wrong with dialog boxes.

Curtis_Waguespack
Consultant

@ mrattray wrote:

Being forced to have both the mini toolbars and dialog boxes is silly, but please don't fix this by removing the dialog boxes and leaving me stuck with those silly, shiny, rainbow-fart mini toolbars. There's nothing wrong with dialog boxes.

I agree. There needs to be an option to use either, but not both.I'm sure there are some users who like the mini-toobars, and they should be welcome to use them. But I've noticed some new tools are not being given dialog boxes. This is not the right direction for Inventor to go. The consistency a dialog box offers is invaluable, for:

* simple ease of use
* quick consistent design changes
* design procedure documentation
* new user adoption
* consistent communication between the author and reader in tutorial development

Mark_Wigan
Collaborator

various requests have been made in the past to remove or fix this buzzing ( + getting in the way + too many clicks)  input window.

please allow us to get rid of this if we choose not to have it! see attached.

Tags (1)
LT.Rusty
Advisor

God, yes.  That little menu is annoying as heck.  It's constantly getting in the way.  I'm right there with you - I'd love to have a way to turn it off entirely and just use the standard menu.

timdown73
Collaborator

You can pin the little menu in place if you wish to get it out of your way.  You only have to do this once and all of the little menu commands will show up where you pin it.  I put mine in the lower right.  Personally I gave up on the old menus and only use the new little menus.  If you explore the new little menu you'll find all of the same options are there as in the old large menu.  Once you get used to the little menu they are much more efficient.  Just my opinion. Smiley Happy

Capture.JPG

DWhiteley
Advisor

Great! who needs the resize doughnuts on the holes?

Mark_Wigan
Collaborator

yes it is nice to pin it out of the way but sadly its not just about getting it out of the way, its also about default focus of active window or command input.

the new little guy takes default input even when it is not needed by those who may prefer other input methods. the little fella also takes more clicks to do what the old input menu requires. taking default focus means just one more click to go back to old input window.

it is great that people like it, but it is not so great that people who do not prefer it, are stuck with it... hence this request to turn it off.

jletcher
Advisor

Oh I see keep both with option but take my Classic interface away..

Kind of funny how I want my Classic as an option everyone said move on but when it comes to all your stuff leave both with option..

Not cool...

Can I please have my Classic back...

Please, please please

fprico
Collaborator

Also the mini-toolbar is permanently moving and it constantly taps the solid model. I think the mini-toolbar should be fixed as the other toolbar.

Mark_Wigan
Collaborator

i agree mrattray

jesse_a_b
Participant

Everytime you try to disable a popup in inventor 2014, the menu takes you a week to find and it comes back 2 weeks later.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report