Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add the Bill of Material command back to the Assemble Tab in IAM

Add the Bill of Material command back to the Assemble Tab in IAM

In 2014 the Bill of Material Command was moved to the Manage Tab.  This command is used too heavily to be moved to a non primary Ribbon Tab.  Now if you added the ability to start the command from the RMB when no components are active I would have accepted that, but its not there either.  Now a user has to add it to their QAT or Customize the Marking Menu to get this very commonly used tool back.  This was a regression in 2014 for usability.

12 Comments
JoyceZhou
Autodesk

Hi

This is an intended change in assembly ribbon UI: standout frequently used commands, hide uncommon commands, as well as remove duplicated commands.

Based on some customer data research, the command BOM and Parameter commands are removed from Assemble tab.

Thanks for the feedback, I will let product design team aware of your comments.

Thanks

Joyce

mflayler2
Advisor

Joyce,

Granted, that is exactly why I figured it was removed, but that doesn't explain why it wouldnt be available in a RMB without customizing the Marking Menu.  You are making a command that should be highly visible to a new user as well as seasoned users difficult to find.  IMOP, it was quite a faux pas in regard to using the software especially for users in the first 10 days.  The Assemble Tab should be a more one stop shop for a majority of commands, such as Analyze Interference as well.  Technically that does have something very important to do with making sure components fit together, but instead its not in the RMB by default and it is on another Tab with commands that could easily be moved somewhere else instead of an INSPECT Tab.

Regards,

zhixin.ni
Alumni

Hi Mark,

Thank you for your feedback. Your suggestion is valuable to us.

So do you think putting BOM command in the RMB context menu can help solve your problem?

Regards

Nick

mflayler2
Advisor

I think it would be a step in the right direction, but I still stand firm that it should be on the normal Assemble Tab all along despite what CUI says, but a standard setup in the RMB or the overflow menu would be a sufficient compromise.

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Under Review

scottmoyse
Mentor

I agree completely with Mark here. I've brought this up a number of times in the Community Feedback forums. A lot of users don't even turn on CUI, so even though its a great feedback mechanism, it shouldn't be used in a 'the buck stops here' decision making approach.

scottmoyse
Mentor

I also think context menu access would be an acceptable, albeit hidden, access point. More shoudl be done to encourage users to utilise the BOM rather than hiding it away.

scottmoyse
Mentor

You can also do this easy enough:

21-06-2013 2-05-30 p-m-.png

binuvarkey
Advocate

Well, that was a bad idea to move away from assemble tab. Please move it back.

jdavis417
Advocate

I understand that the software can be utilized in wildly different ways SO... perhaps you could work towards giving the user control of where they'd like the commands to be found?  I seem to recall that Autocad is pretty good about allowing for a Custom User Interface (CUI).  Maybe you could buy the company that makes Autocad and take all it's good ideas?  LOL

Power to the people?!?!

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Accepted
Accepted idea. Thanks!
dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Implemented

This idea has been implemented within Autodesk Inventor 2016. Special thanks to the author of this Idea and likewise to everyone who cast your Kudo for it.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report