Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPart should support body parts

iPart should support body parts

I love the option to create multi body parts. More and more features give the options to work with a body of the part.

I like to option to be able to suppress a body when working with an iPart. We can do it with all kind of features but ot with a body.

Would life much easier when creating new parts for the Content Center Library as well.

9 Comments
japike
Collaborator

I could do all kinds of cool stuff with that!

Tags (2)
douthett
Collaborator

I'm not following what you're asking for.  I've suppressed all the feature of one style of part in an ipart, so I could create the second style.  I then have the ipart turn off and on the different suppressed feature when I need one style or the other.

Maarten65
Advocate

A body can contain serveral features, like an extrusion and a revolution and a move action for example.

When creating a iPart containing multi bodies it is much easier to control the suppression of these bodies in an table then al these features.

It not only is easier to read / understand in the table but also needs less columns to include in the table.

douthett
Collaborator

I can see what you want but at the same time I would say if they body styles are so different that you might be better off creating two separate iparts.

I've done this for an iassembly of a pillow block bearing for my company. 

Maarten65
Advocate

All our iParts are published in the Content Center. 90% are for Tube & Pipe activities.

The component is one part in the real world so we prefer not to have an assembly of this sobject.

And because iAssemblies are not supported in the Content Center we are forced to creat the model as one single part. 😞

MarkyTomm
Enthusiast

I would like the ability to produce a multi body part with ipart functionality to drive the body definitions

This could preset itself an an option on the ""Derived Part" and/or "Make Compontents" as a list or drop down to select the ipart tablet row - see attached

Tags (2)
ShayaGhanbar
Advocate

Hi Mark,

What you are asking for is actually possible. Here is the work around: create the multi body part and make components out of it so you also have an assembly created based on the multi body part. Once this is done, go to the multi body .ipt and turn that into an iPart. This way you will have an iPart with is actually a multi body .ipt.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below. 

DRoam
Mentor

Great suggestion. SolidWorks has this capability, and it also has the capability to ISOLATE selected solids, which would be very useful (even necessary) for multibody iParts.

This has also been discussed here: Multi-Body iProperty Support.

DRoam
Mentor

@MarkyTomm, like Shaya said this is currently possible, but the approach he gave is incorrect. It doesn't work because by following that method, the resulting assembly parts will always take the form currently active in the iPart. You won't be able to have multiple variations of the resulting assembly.

The proper way to have a multibody iPart is to create your iPart configurations, create one duplicate of each configuration for each solid, and then isolate each solid as its own iPart member. The difficult part is isolating a solid, since we can't currently "suppress" or "isolate" solids as a whole, but instead have to suppress individual features, which is very difficult to control.

What's needed is the functionality requested here: iPart should support body parts. This would enable easily working with multibody iParts. Please consider voting for that idea to help get this need recognized. Thanks!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report