Inventor IdeaStation
Share your ideas about how to improve Inventor with the Development Team.
0 Kudos
jakenl

Add option to print menu to auto select / maximize paper size

by Valued Contributor jakenl on ‎12-19-2012 07:39 AM

Our problem is that A2 PDF drawings are not automatically printed correct with Acrobat Reader.

Root cause is that Inventor will publish in the same paper size as the drawing. When the drawing size > available paper size (A2>A3) then Acrobat Reader will print only half of the drawing (in A3 size) on a A4 paper.

I realize that the problem we are experiencing is not related to Autodesk, but is a limitation in either Adobe Reader or the printer driver. However with my own print plugin I had a perfect solution (without even knowing it)

Add option to print menu. How it could work:

1. Let IV check what the drawing size is
  2. Let IV check what the max. drawing size is for selected printer (for export to PDF, ask on which paper size to 'print')
  3. When drawing size > max. paper size of printer: print on max. paper size (e.g.: print A2 on A3 since that is max. for a particular printer)

This procedure allows drawings always to print on their own size, unless the papersize is not available on the printer. Our plugin saved us a lot of hassle. With my plugin, it was Click-Print, whatever drawing size it would be.
Extra advantage (with knowledge now available) PDF's could be limited to A3 since we used a PDF-printer instead of the Export function of IV. This helped to print in Acrobat Reader also with Click-print (adobe does the same thing to give the option to automatically print on original paper size)

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
IdeaStation Guidelines
Review guidelines and best practices
before posting a new idea.

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube