Inventor IdeaStation
Share your ideas about how to improve Inventor with the Development Team.
34 Kudos
bsee1

Add list of undo actions to undo menu

by Mentor on ‎12-27-2012 07:03 AM

When I click "undo" or "redo", I'd like to know what I'm undoing.  Show a list of undo actions, similar to how Word or Visual Studio work.  This would also allow us to undo multiple actions at once rather than telling Inventor to undo over and over again.

Undo example.png

Like Word would be convenient, but like Visual Studio would be better. Keep a long list of the actions we've done and give it a scroll bar.  

Also, I read somewhere that closing a document clears the undo history.  If I'm remembering correctly, can that be fixed?

Accepted idea [US14418]. Thanks!
Comments
by Employee smithar on ‎02-07-2013 02:14 PM
Status changed to: Under Review

by Mentor on ‎02-08-2013 06:16 AM

Another addition to this, on the api side of things we can define a transaction so programmatic functions are grouped together into a single undo function.  It would be helpful if we could programmatically assign a name or description to that transaction/undo action.

by Employee steven.dennis on ‎02-13-2013 01:40 PM

The list is possible, there are several things that truncate the undo stream (close, LODs, etc.) That is unlikely to change in the near future, it is a very difficult issue given our design.

by Mentor on ‎02-13-2013 01:48 PM

That's understandable, though inconvenient.  To bring the request down to its simplest version, even if undo itself behaves no differently than it does now, my request is this:

• Add a description of what each undo action does
  • Put undo actions in a dropdown list
  • Modify the api for transactions accordingly(so we can enter a description if our command is undone)

None of that should modify the main logic behind your undo/redo functions.

by Employee dan.szymanski on ‎02-27-2013 01:08 PM
Status changed to: Under Review
This project [US14418] is under review by the development team.
by Employee dan.szymanski on ‎03-14-2013 08:18 AM
Status changed to: Accepted
Accepted idea [US14418]. Thanks!
by Distinguished Contributor DRoam on ‎04-09-2013 01:06 PM

I agree that this would be useful.

In the meantime, bsee1, you might have already known this, but if you hover over the undo button, Inventor tells you the most recent action (the action you're about to undo if you click "undo"). It doesn't list the past several undos, which would be nice, but it at least lets you know what you're getting yourself into with each individual undo.

Undo.jpg

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
IdeaStation Guidelines
Review guidelines and best practices
before posting a new idea.

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube