Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add custom properties for sheets (not entire drawing)

Add custom properties for sheets (not entire drawing)

As far as I know, the only property I can actually define for each individual sheet (for use in iLogic, text fields, Title Block, etc.) is the sheet name. This is extremely limiting. Each sheet in my drawings has several properties of its own: sheet's drawing number, what component(s) are detailed on the sheet, the designer, etc. I would love to be able to use each of these properties in labels on the sheet; for example, in a text box with "<Sheet Drawing #> - <Component(s)> (<Designer>)". The only possible way I could do something like this is to use the sheet's drawing number as the Sheet Name, and then use that value in the sheet's text labels, headings, and title block. However, I want to be able to use descriptive names for the Sheet Name, plus that's just one property.

There should be some way to define multiple custom properties for individual sheets, and these properties should be available for use in iLogic and within text notations.

(see related Discussion Groups post: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/Custom-sheet-properties-not-drawing/td-p/3887110)

6 Comments
DRoam
Mentor
PaulMunford
Autodesk
We currently have sheet node name, sheet node index and sheet revision (right click on a sheet node and choose edit).

At the moment I am using iLogic that replaces text in the current title block with a given value... but I'm not happy with the implimentation 😕
DRoam
Mentor

Thanks @PaulMunford, same here, and I agree.

We would essentially need Sheets to have their own iProperties--all of the ones that Parts/Assemblies/Drawings do, including custom iProperties.

So when we're inserting fields into a title block, text field, etc., we can insert EITHER the first View's component's iProperties (like currently), OR the Sheet's iProperties, OR the drawing's iProperties. So we can specifically insert, for example, the Part's revision or the Sheet's revision or the Drawing's revision (which, depending on how companies do things, might all be different). Same for the Designer, Creation Date, Design State, etc.

It would also be nice if, in addition to giving Sheets their own iProperties, I could choose to have a Sheet pull the value for a given iProperty from the first View on the sheet, or from the Drawing file's iProperties.

So not only can I give my Sheet its own unique values for certain properties (like Revision and Creation Date), but I can link it to my Part for some properties (like Part Number and Description) and to the Drawing for others (like Project and Customer [a custom iProperty we use]).

And then I can use these carefully-set Sheet iProperties in text fields, or in iLogic, or to build my Sheet's title using an iProperty formula like "=<Sheet #> <Description>".

inv.ideareview
Autodesk
Thanks for sharing your Idea. We use this forum to guide product development and help users in the best way we can based on voting. We occasionally merge Ideas or archive old ones to keep the forum working properly - it ensures there is room for people to review new Ideas and that the most relevant and meaningful ones can gain votes. We’re archiving this Idea because it's been on the board for well over a year and hasn't received many votes from the community. If you want to raise it again and try to gain more support, you're welcome to do so. We’ve found that pictures and mock-ups can help get concepts across and win more votes from other users. If you have questions or see a connection between this Idea and others, let us know. - Inventor product team (Inv.idea review)
inv.ideareview
Autodesk
Status changed to: Archived

tomasz.sztejka
Advocate

This functionality is also important to me and was bothering me since 2009 revision. I need to have different sheets with different human readable "scale" in each table on each sheet. This scale is entered manually to reflect a scale of a primary view. Currently I need to remove "scale" value from a drawing table automation and manually place a text on each sheet which is breaking a work flow with "iProperties".

It would be great to have an ability to pull any named property from any resource and to make this process a cascade, @DRoam  said. First try sheet, then if not defined drawing, then if not defined a model.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report