cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add Vertex/Leader option can be added in radius dimension

Add Vertex/Leader option can be added in radius dimension

Add Vertex Leader option can be added in radius dimension.PNG

Problem:

Multiple radius dimension arrow lines not merged properly with dimension lines. When dimension moves, It does not get impacted and it stays alone.

Root cause:

Creator manually matches arrow lines with dimension lines for multiple radius dimensions.

Loss:

Impacts quality of the drawing

Consumes drawing creation time

Proposed option:

Add Vertex/Leader can be added in radius dimension arrow lines.

It is available for chamfer dimension arrow same used for example

42 Comments
HeathCarlson6887
Explorer

I find it annoying that when I want to add a leader to a radial dimension, I can't. Instead I have to use the "Leader Text" command if I want an additional leader. Its included in the pull down on chamfers and leader text, can you please include it on radial dimensioning.

Tags (1)
doug_cook
Participant

I just talked with Autodesk help with the following problem and he sent me here where there are others with the same problem, which is:

If you have 2 or more Radius in close proximity to one another and you do not have much room to place multiple dimensions, you can't add a Vertex leader to a Radius Dimension, so it is easier to add a Leader Text and fake the dimension and type R0.5 and add as many Vertex Leaders as you want, which is not the proper way to do things, but much easier. This problem has been going on for some time and a correction has been long over do. Thank You.

Cadmanto
Mentor

Not a good solution in my book.  It is the parametricness of the software that steps it up from 2D software.  If you are over writing dimensions, then that kind of takes that away.

All I want to be able to do is add an additional vertex so I can bend the radial dimension away from the cluttered area.

doug_cook
Participant
To Whom it May Concern,

I have been asking for the ability to add a vertex leader to a Radius dimension for years, but apparently so has many others, and apparently those have falling on deaf ears as well. It seems simple, Please add this to the fix. Sorry, do not have '17 installed yet, so if it's there, high hopes, I apologize.

Thank You,

Doug Cook

CAD Designer/CAD Administrator
Hi-Lex America, Inc.
5200 Wayne Road
Battle Creek, Michigan 49015-1092
Phone: 269-441-7285
Email: doug_cook@hi-lex.com
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi.  This ongoing issue isn't fixed in Autodesk 2017 either.  Come on give us what we need.

doug_cook
Participant
Thanks for the heads up darrendavey.
Stuck on 2016 till Dassault Enovia does an update to work with 2017.
Autodesk needs to fix this simple thing, why they didn't yet is beyond me.
Maybe 2018?

Thanks,

Doug Cook

CAD Designer/CAD Administrator
Hi-Lex America, Inc.
Diequa
Advocate

this would be perfect for dimensioning DIN 509

Richard_Bloyce
Explorer

Just experienced the same problem and came on here to find a solution. Smiley Frustrated However I have got a work around.

1. In the idw add a leader to your radius, right click, continue.

2. In the format text box that comes up, select the part. (ie Part 1) on the fx line.

3. Select model parameters in the next drop down box.

4. In the next drop down box select the dimension that relates to your chosen radius. You may need to go back to the model to find out which one it is.

5. Click the 'Add parameter' box at the end of the fx line.

6. Ok

7. You can now right click on your leader line in the drawing and add vertex. If you change the radius in the model the drawing will automatically update.

This works well for fillets you have added to a sketch as eg there is a (d17) dimension to select in the parameters box. It's a bit harder if for example you've added fillets after adding draft angles to a molded part. The dimension will be there in the drop down list but isn't listed as a (d17) dimension so depending on how many fillets you've added to a model, it may be a case of trial and error.

Add Vertex Issue.JPG

Hope this helps

Rich B

HeathCarlson6887
Explorer
Thank you for the information, I will give that a shot. Hopefully Autodesk will come up with an easier solution in the near future.
doug_cook
Participant
RJB1,

Thanks for the input, however. First, what version are you running?

(1.) In the IDW..., right click, continue?

This does nothing except bring up a Menu of, Cancel-OK-Options>-Dimension
Types>-Snap Settings>-Zoom-Pan-Previos View and How to...

When I place it, I get Edit Dimension box. If then I hit Esc, I can right
click on Radius Dimension and get different Menu:
Repeat General Dimension-Delete-Move Dimension-Option>-Precision>-Edit
*Text*-Copy Properties-...

So I select Text and I am on (2.) and in Format Text. I select part in the
first box of fx line, (3.) got Model Parameters, (4.) Select proper
dimension (d8 (3.00mm))
and (5.) click Add Parameter, it adds dimension after <<>>3.00, I click OK
and now radius call-out is R3.03.00?
I right click on Radius dimension and there is no Add Vertex / Leader. I
tried double clicking dimension to bring up Edit Dimension box, Hide
Dimension Value and left just the 3.00 there-OK, right click, still No Add
Vertex / Leader.

Autodesk just needs to add the Add Vertex / Leader option to the radius
call-out, Right click radius dimension and Add Vertex / Leader.

Thank You.
HeathCarlson6887
Explorer
I am running 2017, however when that post was added, I think I was running 2012. To answer your question, Yes, this is exactly what I was trying to do. Get Autodesk to add 'ADD VERTEX / LEADER" to the "radius leader callout options" just like it is on the "standard leader callout options" so a person can right click & select that option when dimensioning radius dims.
doug_cook
Participant
HeathCarlson6887,

Go to RJB1 example above and follow instructions.

Don't do my mistake by using the wrong tool. Turn text into fx dimension.

[image: Inline images 1]
Use the Leader Text when you are trying to add a vertex to a radius
dimension and follow the original post.
Richard_Bloyce
Explorer
HeathCarlson6887
Explorer
This work around also will not work well if let's say you build your model in decimal form & want to dimension it in fractional form.
blaise.horsman
Community Visitor

This isn't fixed in 2018. But it looks like they may be working on it.

multi leader @ radii.JPG

maxL4XUR
Contributor

Hi all.

Hopefully this is already a feature that I am just missing.... But having been a SW user for many years, when adding a radius dimension you could hold control, click and drag the arrow and it would add a second one to attach to another point (and then a third or fourth and so on....

If this isn't possible in Inventor Drawings could it be added? And if it is then please could someone let me know how its done?

Currently I am using empty leader texts and zooming in to drop it as close as possible to the radius dim.... Not ideal. Especially when you then move the dimension!!!

philip1009
Advisor

Could you provide a picture of what you're looking for, it sounds like you want to group a list of radius dims together instead of them being separate.  Is that correct?

maxL4XUR
Contributor

Yes this is correct Philip.

philip1009
Advisor

Then that functionality isn't present in Inventor yet.  The closest solution I can think of is making a Hole Table found under the Annotate - Table tab.  I'll vote for your idea since this sounds like a cool function.

Smatuka
Explorer

I believe he is looking for a similar function as to adding a vertex/leader to chamfer notes. I was hoping this was going to be an added feature in 2019, but maybe next time.AddLeaderLine.JPG

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report