Inventor IdeaStation
Share your ideas about how to improve Inventor with the Development Team.
22 Kudos
_Boudewijn_

Add CTRL behavior to Horizontal and Vertical sketch constraint.

by _Boudewijn_ on ‎06-24-2014 02:28 AM

If you choose a horizontal constraint and you realize that you need a vertical constraint, then you need to select the vertical constraint.
Despite the fact that we are now in 2015 get a preview to see what is horizontal or vertical.
Add a CTRL action, so that horizontal changes to vertical as soon as you press the CTRL.
Ditto for vertical to horizontal constraint.

Comments
by GNR88 on ‎06-25-2014 01:08 AM

This is a great idea and applies more to 2015 than previous versions as you don't know which you need as the sketch no longer rotate to suit.

by MDLtd on ‎06-30-2014 02:27 PM

Prior to seeing this post I raised this very subject in the Inventor Beta forums.

This is a cut & paste of my post:

Quote from Paul Munford’s review of Inventor 2015 in Develp 3D magazine:

"For those of us that use Inventor every day, it’s the little improvements that we really appreciate (horizontal and vertical constraint indicators alone will save hours of frustrating picking)."

How true that statement is!

Whilst I applaude whoever made that change (which will affect everyone of us) I can’t help thinking that it is one stage short of being perfect - why not merge the two commands into one and simply "Tab" between the two whilst in sketch mode. In that way we can totally avoid picking the wrong constraint and having to return to the menu to make a further pick?

Either CTL or TAB is fine with me, as long as we get a toggle option. I have added my Kudos to the list.

Regards all,

Dave

by jhackney on ‎07-05-2014 09:15 PM

You can edit you Inventor keyboard commands and make the Horizontial constraint one key and Vertical another.  Then if you select the wrong one simple press the other key.  This would be the same motion as touching the Ctrl or Tab key.  You may have to arrange a few keys to get what is comfortable to you.  With the on screen glyphs, you can quickly tell which one you are applying with a quck glance.

by *Expert Elite* on ‎07-18-2014 01:04 AM

I vote for TAB.. since it's that kind of behaviour. Yes keyboard shortcuts can be setup very easily but this would be more user friendly. In fact the TAB toggle could do with being implemented in a lot of places through out Inventor.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
IdeaStation Guidelines
Review guidelines and best practices
before posting a new idea.

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube