Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ability to toggle visibility of origin & work features on Content Center parts.

Ability to toggle visibility of origin & work features on Content Center parts.

I very often would like to use the origin planes of pipe fittings as projected geometry in my Tube & Pipe routes, in order to constrain to them and line up one route with a fitting on another without having to get out the calculator.  Content Center parts will not allow origin planes, work planes, points, axes etc to be toggled visible.  This does not affect the part geometry in any way and would be very helpful in routing.

show_hide.JPG

13 Comments
WillMorganmhs
Enthusiast

If when constraining you slect the plane from the tree instead of the model, you do not need to make it visable to use it. This might help you in the meantime

mrack42
Advocate

Yar, what he said... maybe it's not quite what you're looking for, but you can select the origin features of a Content Center part from the browser tree.

ljordan
Advocate

I haven't done pipe routing, and maybe this isn't an attractive method, but could you not just place it as a custom part like anything else from the Content Center?  Even when placed as a custom part, you can still replace from Content Center, or change size.

jletcher
Advisor

I would like to see them just turn on when you go near the part. With constraints or the measure tool..

Select constrain go over to the part and all planes glow so you can pick one and have right click to show axis.....

Many times I wish to see the planes in a library parts to even measure to it is a bit nasty to drill down the browser every time.

I don't wish them to be on all the time just when a command like constrain or measure is running..

No need to be able to turn on then...

millejm85
Participant

I would certainly like this concept to apply to all parts opened as read only. I come across many files at my company that have so many work planes/axis created and visible that it is hard to see the faces you're interested in.

Inventor should allow temporary changes to a read only file such as toggling visibilities while open but simply not allow it to be saved.

Also jletcher has a great idea with the visibility on hover...

austin.marylee
Enthusiast

I am a big fan of this idea. In Inventor, there is a toggle visibility button that turns off all work features. If the work features are turned on by default within the Content Center family template, they show up and the all work features toggle can turn them all off. By default, Content Center does not work in this manner. All of these planes are turned off but the toggle does not turn them on. When using planes and tying parts together, finding the planes in the browser is time consuming. Please oh please Autodesk, see if there is a way to turn on these planes without making users replace all of the Content Center family templates!

jschaap
Explorer

Yes please! I have all company parts extracted from content center because of description naming and workplanes. Als we nee scjedule sizes and certificate iproperties. This way i can constrain piping parts for routing making use of the workplanes. As they are custum, i can toggle the visibility. Now i also created a company standard content library with all company specs in it. Thing is, it works so much faster! then having to use the seperate parts amd ise the save & replace command for the other item. Things like change size is a time saver for getting your iproperties changed like schedules, material etc. But sadly for my workflow concidering using the family tree to toggle work planes on and off frustrates me of not getting to use my content center corporate parts as i would like. So please do this idea. 

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Future Consideration

Idea added to backlog for future consideration [30957]. Thanks!

jiri.barton
Community Visitor

Trying to put "things" concerning cad use in the company in order, it means for example local library parts use, how I can order young designers to use work planes for constraints when it is impossible to switch on ?

I think you should prioritize this topic.....

Thank you.

nannerdw
Advocate

Changing the visibility of workplane, workaxis, and workpoint proxies at the assembly level should not make edits to the component files.

Currently it's impossible to toggle the visibility of work geometry for any component occurrence that's read-only, including library files, vaulted files marked as released, and iPart/iAssembly members.

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Gathering Support

Modifying the status to Gathering Support - The reason work features for CC parts, and others set as read only, are blocked is to prevent unwanted file dirty scenarios. Modifying the visibility of a work feature within a part would incite a dirty operation and require a save.

dusan.naus.trz
Advisor

Hi All

Please see the link. If you like the video, then like (Thumbs up) to video. Thank you. Then I'll know it's OK.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jziZxWNRI24

Bearded_Engineer
Explorer

@dan_szymanski how is this still considered gathering support?? 30+ votes, which is more than a whole lot of posts. And did you ever have to use your own product to actually create something with it?? The whole mindset that radiates from your reply is just shocking.

How on earth should a read only/released file ever REQUIRE a save?? That's the whole point of it being read only/released, to keep the current state locked. So how hard is it, to allow edits like visibility on planes etc. which will not be stored. (Since read only...) When closing the file it should lose all edits, or get the latest release from the Vault when being openend again next time. (Since Inventor does have a tendency to save read only files localy...) 

A library file is in no way different from any other file with the label read only/released. Changes should NEVER be published or even saved. 

I even had to go as far as using a custom add-in to toggle work plane visibilty since Inventor does not offer anything easy or fast on it's own. It is so time consuming to expand a file in the modelbrowser, expand the origin folder and then finally be able to use the origin plane to add constraints. Using this add-in is the only way to keep files clean in a fast and easy way, as using the object visibility create the issue where all files will show planes in an assembly by deafult. Huge mess with hundreds of planes crossing eachother is not workable. So the limitations created by this 'library' tag are just downright frustrating. 

Once again a great idea, on this forum for YEARS and not implemented. It's free feedback form your users, do something with it. Inventor is lacking en getting further behind on Solidworks in many ways. (They actually listen a lot faster and make improvements yearly.) These kind of things cause me hours of extra works on a weekly base.

Even my new colleague is staring to mention every single issue I've experienced since switching form SW to Inventor. My old colleagues thougth I was exaggerating, boy were they wrong...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report