Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ability to save in Model Sketch mode

Ability to save in Model Sketch mode

How often have we lost work and not be able to save a part while in sketch mode.  All the time!!!  When complicated sketches or any sketches for that matter are created, it would be nice to be able to save the model while in sketch mode instead of having to finish the sketch either prematurely or when it is fully completed in order to save the model file.  I think less work would be lost if this was an available option.

13 Comments
Cadmanto
Mentor

Not sure what you mean by "Unless other programs can be saved in sketch mode?"

If you are talking about if other CAD programs can do what I am requesting then the answer is yes.  Solidworks for one can do it.

BryanKelley
Alumni

Hello,

I'm confused by your post.  How is Inventor loosing data?  When you issue the Save command whilst in Sketchmode, it should bring up the prompter dialog informing that it cannot be saved while in Sketchmode.  It should then exit out of it and then save the file.  Is it not doing that?

Thank you,

Bryan

Cadmanto
Mentor

That's exactly the point.  Yes, that is working as you described.  Like I said in my original posting, if you are in a complicated sketch and want to save the file, you can't unless you exit the sketch mode.  I would like to see this so you don't have to exit sketch mode and just be able to save the file without the back and forth.

Josh_Hunt
Advocate

I understand and sympathize with your frustration. I have wanted to save while in a sketch several times.

However, I don't think this is practical. When you change a sketch, that affects the dependant features. Inventor does not know if your edits to the sketch will break that feature or downstream features until you exit the sketch environment.

SCENARIO

1. Edit a sketch
  2. Make a change that no longer forms a closed profile. (this is a common accident with new users)
  3. Save while in Sketch mode
  4. Inventor then Crashes or you close the file without exiting the sketch.
  5. the next person to open the part (or even worse, an assembly that uses the part) will get a part that fails to generate.  Hopefully they know what needs to be fixed?

At least when there is a part update failure and the user saves then they are aware (and responsible for fixing) the failure.

This sounded like a simple idea to me too but you have to think about the sketch environment like a running command. You wouldn't expect to be able to save in the middle of an Extrude command.

admaiora
Mentor

How many times have you wanted to save from a sketch mode?

But you can't... you had to close  the sketch then save it then back in the sketch...

... ....

What's the real problem of saving staying in the sketch?

Little things that can only speed up the design.

rdrd.jpg

DRoam
Mentor

I think part of the problem is you're saving the part in a sort of "limbo" state. It's analagous to if you were creating or editing a feature, like a Revolve, and saved in the middle of the feature edit. What is Inventor actually suppposed to save? You're in-between states. You're after one feature in the Browser tree but possibly before others.

SolidWorks' solution to this is to provide a choice when saving while in a Sketch:

Option A) Exit the sketch and re-build the rest of the part (this is what Inventor does)

Option B) Save as-is, and if the part is then closed and re-opened, the End of Part marker is moved to just before the sketch so the downstream results of your Sketch changes aren't re-built yet.

This seems like a reasonable solution to me. But neither option is really ideal. Option A can result in a premature re-build of the rest of the part, when you're not actually done editing your sketch yet. Option B can result in assembly issues because you've saved your part in an incomplete state, where features which may be used in constraints haven't been rebuilt.

I think the ideal solution would be for the save to result in this: The part is saved as-is in sketch mode, but the geometry (behind the scenes, i.e. what Assemblies and Drawings see) is saved as it was last calculated, before the Sketch edit began. This is a win-win. You get to keep your sketch changes and continue editing, but any assemblies (or drawings) referencing downstream geometry won't lose their references. When you finish editing your sketch and exit, the rest of the geometry is finally re-calculated.

It would also be ideal if this save state included what the active Sketch was before the sketch edit began. That way, if you run into any issues, you can cancel your sketch changes and revert to the sketch that went with the last-calculated geometry--the geometry your assemblies and drawings are still using.

admaiora
Mentor

DRoam: "I think part of the problem is you're saving the part in a sort of "limbo" state. It's analagous to if you were creating or editing a feature, like a Revolve, and saved in the middle of the feature edit. What is Inventor actually suppposed to save? You're in-between states. You're after one feature in the Browser tree but possibly before others."

I don't see that undeterminated state/limbo or insurmountables limits.

I want this:

I am inside the sketch > click save > part file and sketch both saved and still inside the sketch

=

to the current   inside the sketch> get out of the sketch> save it> go back to the sketch

DRoam
Mentor

I mentioned this in a thread for a duplicate of this Idea, and @Josh_Hunt mentioned it above, but one complication with saving while in a Sketch is the question of how exactly the part should be saved. Here are the possibilities:

Option A) Exit the Sketch, Rebuild the Part, then Save (this is what Inventor currently does)

Option B) Stay in the Sketch, Rebuild the Part in the background, then Save

Option C) Stay in the SketchRetract the EOP to before the Sketch and rebuild the pre-sketch features in the Background, then Save (SolidWorks provides this option)

Option D) Stay in the SketchStore Sketch in its current state, Save the rest of the part in the pre-Sketch-edit state

So, exiting the sketch is bad because it disrupts your workflow. And rebuilding the part is bad because you're not finished editing your Sketch yet, so it's highly likely that downstream features won't rebuild or will rebuild incorrectly.

Rebuilding the part in the background is even worse because it could have the same catastrophic effects on downstream features but without you even knowing it.

Retracting the EOP to before the sketch is bad because any assemblies or drawings which had constraints or dimensions to downstream features will now lose those references.

Option D provides the best of all worlds. The magic behind this option is that you get to keep your sketch edits, but the under-the-hood geometry of your part (the geometry your Assemblies and Drawings see) is the same as it was before you started editing the Sketch... which is precisely what you want, because you aren't done with those sketch edits yet.

And it would be even better if this save state included what the Sketch was before the sketch edit began. That way, if you run into any issues, even after closing and re-opening your file, you can cancel your sketch changes and revert everything to what it was before you started editing the Sketch.

I think a choice between options A, C, and D would be ideal. But option D by itself is near-perfect enough in my opinion.

Josh_Hunt
Advocate
I agree with @DRoam

Josh Hunt
[AutoCAD_Badge_2014][Inventor_Badge_Prof_2014]
Fayad_Designer
Explorer

I think it will be very useful if autodesk let us save a file we are working on also in sketch mode like in fusion 360  becaude now you have to  close/finish the sketch, save the file and re-enter again on the sketch mode.

kiepert.michael
Community Visitor

I would like to know if it is possible to make changes to a Finished Sketch to the degree as if you where making the Sketch Because I started with Regular ACAD and Finish Sketch means I am done with this Sketch now I need to move on to the next part and if I need to make changes to the part oh well I just need to make it again which is very very inconvenient. If I had a project with a part and every other part in this project was relient on this one parts dimensions what I would need to do is recreate the whole thing I could not go into the sketch of a part and just change some dimensions and then everything would be fixed.

dnaX4EHQ
Participant

It is possible with SolidWorks. 

DRoam
Mentor

Hope this one gets some attention soon. Despite the low vote count, I would bet every user runs into this message on a regular basis:

Cannot Save In Sketch Mode.png

When editing a sketch, just like when editing the part as a whole, we want to save our work periodically (even if we're not fully done yet), because we don't want to potentially lose the progress we've made so far. It would be great if Inventor supported doing this.

@dan_szymanski, can you comment if this one's on the radar?

PS, here's a duplicate that could be merged in: Save in Sketch Mode 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea