Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

zoom error

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
KFrankenberger
2668 Views, 10 Replies

zoom error

My "zoom all" suddenly started causing the model to zoom off far away to the lower left corner. The "front" and "left" also make it zoom out of view. I have managed to reset my iso view by getting the model where I want it and setting it as a "fixed distance". How can I reset my "zoom all" so it doesn't zoom my assembly out of the scrren and what did i do to make this happen? I am working on details of my assembly and of course am in a time crunch! I have to be able to use my navigation wheel! (clicking on the wheel or clicking and holding on the wheel also makes it stutter and go to the left part of the screen. I can't use the wheel to rotate to the view I need to do my work.)

Thank you for any help you can give!!

Kirsten

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Hi KFrankenberger,

It sounds like there is something that Inventor is "seeing" in the model that is causing this. If your model is a part model, it might be a visible sketch with an arc center or something that is sitting out in space. If your model is an assembly, it might be a small part such as a screw that is setting out there causing the extents of the model to be so large, which in turn causes the "zoom all" to seem like it is not working.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 3 of 11

HI Curtis,

Well, I thought I had it solved but no deleting of an empty area is helping and the assembly keeps zooming off to the lower left corner, but so small I can't see it. Left, Right, Front all make the same thing happen. And I opened a previously saved "old version" of the assembly and the same thing happened! HOw could a part be causing this if I had no issue on Oct 8th (the date of the old version of the assembly)? I'm not sure what to do to reset the windows of the zoom for all the various views you get with the navigation box....

Message 4 of 11
blair
in reply to: KFrankenberger

Can you try a different IAM file and see if the problem is common or just this assembly.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 5 of 11
JDMather

The fastest solution would be to attach your assembly/part(s) here.

1. If you have a "sick" part the bounding box size of the part might be incorrect (this is most often see with imported IGES or maybe STEP files).

2. In an assembly it could be because you have #1 or because you have a part wayyyyy out in space a long way from other component(s).

3. In an assembly start Suppressing parts one-by-one in the browser and zoom all after each.

Does it suddenly work?  You have found the suspect. (You can usually guess the suspect part - so you don't have to start suppressing just anywhere (any imported? Loft featured? Swept... work your way from complex to simple)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 6 of 11
KFrankenberger
in reply to: blair

I did try opening and zooming in on just the frame to my assembly and it zoomed fine. But even an earlier version of my assembly doesn't not zoom fine. I have tried windowing empty parts of the zoomed window to see if I could find a part floating out there somewhere but can't find anything.

Message 7 of 11

Hi KFrankenberger,

You can use the selections illustrated in this image to reset the Home View (Zoom All):

Autodesk Inventor Reset Zoom All.png

If when reset, it still zooms to wide, then it is likely some component out in space causing the issue. I suppose you could use the Fixed Distance option to set the home view once you've zoomed in, just to keep you moving forward in your work. But I think you'll encounter the same issue when create a drawing view of the assembly.

Creating a drawing view, might actually help you locate the problem component as well.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 8 of 11

Okay I am trying the drawing sheet idea first, but the views all come up fine. The assembly is way too big to send... This just started up suddenly today. Never had an issue with it before... Not sure if I reset something and it is stuck that way or what. And certainly not sure how I did it!! I will try resetting the views according to Curtis's instructions next...

Message 9 of 11

Okay... this is pure agony. I am zooming fine right now, but the assembly is not responding to my selection any more. It is not shrink wrapped, but it is behaving as if it is shrink wrapped! I click on a part in my assembly and instead of highlighting the whole thing it is highlighting only the face I click on! I don't know if I am in some other mode of operation that makes my zoom work but is not allowing me to see the individual parts as parts.

Message 10 of 11
JDMather

In the image you posted - you have your selection filter set on Faces and Edges.  Change to Part or Component priority.

Selection Filters.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 11 of 11
KFrankenberger
in reply to: JDMather

Awesome, thanks! I am not sure how that happened... It hasn't ever happened before and I didn't try to set that option... It is still zooming correctly so I think I am okay for now... Thanks!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report