Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

weird sketch constraint issues

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
602 Views, 6 Replies

weird sketch constraint issues

So I'm sketching a rectangle and constraining the center points of the bottom and left lines to vert and hortiz. but once I add a dimension both top and bottom or left and right don't move together, only one line moves..???? Has a setting gotten turned off?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
jtylerbc
in reply to: Anonymous

Looks to me like you're missing parallel constraints between the vertical lines, and possibly the horizontal ones as well.

Also, for the centering technique you're using to work properly, the two horizontal lines need to be set equal or a symmetric constraint used, and the same for the two vertical lines.  Otherwise, only the one with the midpoint constraint will stay centered.

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous

Yes, I know I can add all those constraints, but by default, when creating a shape with the rec. tool those constraints are already there, but for some reason the rec. tool is not providing me the usual default constraints.

I remember this happening at work one time, but I forgot what we did to reset it or fix it.

Message 4 of 7
JDMather

Constraint Persistence

or check Constraint Options.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/coincident-constraint/td-p/3045990

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: JDMather

Thank you

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous

Well.... I though making the changes to the constraint options was going to solve the problem....... turns out I can't edit the constraint options box? everything in it is checked and grayed out... any other possibilities.

Every-time I draw a line it's like it's not coming with the standard horizontal or vertical constraints, so creating a sketch is taking 10X as long and this is very frustrating

Message 7 of 7
Dennis_Jeffrey

Here's a 2010 video I created a couple years ago that should answer all your questions.

https://teknigroup.com/courseware/2010/Module00/sk1/Videos/sk1-100/sk1-100.html

Notice that there are pauses in this video. Just pick play for each segment.

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.

Subscribe to the free digital "The Creative Inventor Magazine" now available at: http://teknigroup....

XP64 SP2, GeForce 9800GT-1GB, Driver: 6.14.12.7061, 8GB Ram, AMD Athlon II 3.2 Ghz
Laptop: Win7-64 Pro, 4GB, ATI Graphics on board, 2012 Ultimate, IV2011 or 2010 Pro, all SP's

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report