Valued Contributor
darnold
Message 1 of 13 (584 Views)
Accepted Solution

updating parts to Inventor assembly file

584 Views, 12 Replies
11-09-2012 06:56 AM

I'm hoping for a simple fix.

I imported a half completed design(Autocad) into an Inventor assembly file and started to make changes to the part using the hole command and I found that not all of the changes were made to the original part file. Which of course make the  creation of detail drawings impossible.

Here is an example:in-assmbly.jpg

This plate has six smaller holes and one notch on the  side that I added in the assembly file. but when I double clicked (or edited) the part it looks like this:

in-editor.jpg

When I open the part (right click/open) it looks like this:

in-open.jpg

Notice the center six smaller holes are missing (created with hole command), but the notch (created with sketch/extrude command) in updated to the part.

Is there anyway to merge these holes into the part file?

Valued Mentor
japike
Message 2 of 13 (577 Views)

Re: updating parts to Inventor assembly file

11-09-2012 07:03 AM in reply to: darnold

It looks like you used assembly features to add the six small holes to the assembly. Delete them from the assembly and add them to the part. It shouldn't take long to do that.

Peace,
Jeff
Inventor 2013
Valued Contributor
darnold
Message 3 of 13 (568 Views)

11-09-2012 07:16 AM in reply to: japike

First of all, thank you for your quick reply to my request for help.

When you say delete them from your assembly, and add then to the part, do you mean delete them where they appear in the browser and then open the part and add them there? if so there is problems.

Their location are relative to other parts in the assembly and were there because of features around them which won't be in the part file.

Secondly I have other holes (perhaps 50 or more), tapped holes in a plate that were added relative to the screw clearance holes above them.

Valued Mentor
japike
Message 4 of 13 (559 Views)

11-09-2012 07:26 AM in reply to: darnold

You could add the holes to your part but leave them underconstrained (i.e. no dimensions or sketch constraints). In your assembly, make the part adaptive and use assembly constraints to mate the holes to the components that drive thier location.

Another technique would be to use derived components to use geometry from one part to create another.

Peace,
Jeff
Inventor 2013
Valued Contributor
darnold
Message 5 of 13 (558 Views)

11-09-2012 07:27 AM in reply to: darnold

Here are pics:

tappedholesundersteels.jpg

notapsundersteels.jpg

The tapped holes were added to the plate using the concentric hole placement using the screw clearance holes above.

I was kind of hoping for some kind of reverse update command.

*Expert Elite*
cbenner
Message 6 of 13 (557 Views)

11-09-2012 07:28 AM in reply to: darnold

You can add them to the part while still in the assembly.  Fi=rst delete the holes from the top level of the assembly.  Double click on the part to activate it, then add the holes.  You should still be able to use other features in the assembly as references.  Especially if you add the holes by first creating a sketch with points to be used as centers.  In your sketch you can locate the points using reference geometry form the assembly.

Hope this helps.

ChrisB

ADSK_Expert_Elite_Icon_S_Color_Blk.png

Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution &Give Kudos!Kudos to further enhance the value of these forums. Thank you! :smileyhappy:

http://cbennertipstricks.blogspot.com/

Valued Contributor
darnold
Message 7 of 13 (556 Views)

11-09-2012 07:30 AM in reply to: darnold

"You could add the holes to your part but leave them underconstrained (i.e. no dimensions or sketch constraints). In your assembly, make the part adaptive and use assembly constraints to mate the holes to the components that drive thier location."

This sounds doable. I will give it a try. Not sure if I understand this part: "use assembly constraints to mate the holes to the components that drive thier location."

Thanks also Chris B.

Valued Contributor
darnold
Message 8 of 13 (540 Views)

11-09-2012 08:13 AM in reply to: cbenner

I decided to try Chris' solution first. It sounded a lot like what I tried to do at first but failed.

"You can add them to the part while still in the assembly.  Fi=rst delete the holes from the top level of the assembly.  Double click on the part to activate it, then add the holes."

Ok, I deleted holes and double-clicked on part. the part on top faded and I entered the hole command. 

"You should still be able to use other features in the assembly as references."

I tried concentric and On point, but the hole command fail to pick features off of the faded parts. On to the next step:

"Especially if you add the holes by first creating a sketch with points to be used as centers.  In your sketch you can locate the points using reference geometry form the assembly"

I created a sketch using the plane of the target part, but my sketch failed to locate or constrain to any referenc parts of the assembly.

Valued Mentor
japike
Message 9 of 13 (535 Views)

11-09-2012 08:26 AM in reply to: darnold

Edit the part in the context of the assembly, then edit the sketch for the holes. Project geometry from other components in the assembly for locate your holes.

Peace,
Jeff
Inventor 2013
Valued Mentor
GSE_Dan_A
Message 10 of 13 (527 Views)

11-09-2012 08:52 AM in reply to: japike

There is a Add On in Autodesk Labs that will push the features you made in the Assembly level to the Part Level. So any holes or extrusions that you have made at the Assembly Level will be transferred into the Parts.

The Add-On is called Feature Migrator.  It works really well!

Information - http://cadsetterout.com/resources/feature-migrator-for-inventor/

Download - http://labs.autodesk.com/utilities/featuremanager

GSE Consultants Inc.
Windsor, ON. Canada

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you interested in helping shape the Autodesk Community?
We’re looking at a few different ways to improve the “All Forums” landing page and need your feedback! If interested, please take a few minutes to fill out the following Usability Study. Thank you for your time!

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube