Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

updating parts FROM Inventor assembly file

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
ivan56
6423 Views, 12 Replies

updating parts FROM Inventor assembly file

Hello, This is my first ever post , I do hope that I am not being dim !

When I create a assembly , no problem , If I modify any parts in the assembly , the mods do not translate to the part file Inventor asks if I want to save the changes but nothing happens , everthing is in the correct project folder , I have tried everthing I can think of .

I have looked at seral posts and comes up with a add on called "Feature Migrator" but Inventor must be able to it by itself?

Please Help

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
sam_m
in reply to: ivan56

think of the process as how you would assemble it...

parts are created/manchined -> parts are then put together in an assembly

it's a flow from part to assembly, not the other way...

Think about it in real life...  Sure, you can change components while putting them together like adding holes and tapping them, or trimming the odd part off but these changes are being done during the "assembly stage" and do not change the "specification" of the component parts.  (ie a common block can have a couple fingers, these are needed for all assemblies bar 1, in that assembly these fingers are cut off - that is a change in the assembly and obviously you don't want that change rippling back to the part and affecting all other assemblies).

You need to edit the part to have the changes existing in that part...

What gets confusing tho...  you can edit the part while it is in an assembly - double click on the part in the Browser Bar (or right-click and select "edit") and all other parts should become translucent as you edit that part (unless you have that part already open as a separate file, then it will flip to the file to be edited outside of the assemby).  All changes here will be to that part and will ripple through (to all other instances of that part, along with the part's idw drawing).

hope that all makes sense.

Sam M.
Inventor and Showcase monkey

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question...
If you have found any post to be helpful, even if it's not a direct solution, then please provide that author kudos - spread that love 😄

Message 3 of 13
harco

I expect you are creating assembly features.

When working in the assembly, to edit the parts you need to RMB on the part > edit or open the part.

If you edit, the browser will grey out all other parts and assemblies while you work on the part.

To check, create a sketch as you have been doing, draw a circle, finish the sketch.

Try to extrude the profile, if it will not allow you to add material but only cut then you are editing the assembly not the part.

HTH

This may be your first post but someone has posted using your username 9 times in 4 years.

Edit : or after I read the post properly, basically exactly what Sam said.

Message 4 of 13
jdavis417

So you asked what time it is and you've been told how to build a watch? Man LOL

In my opinion, there's not enough information to answer your question.  Do you have anything else we can work with? More specifics might help some of the experts (I'm not one) on this DG to help you more effectively.

Message 5 of 13
ionut82costan

Hy,

I'm learning for now, and i use the autodesk tutorials.

http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Inventor/enu/2012/Help/2144-Tutorial2144/2145-Inventor2145/2241-Assembl...

After I edit the sketch in step 15, what should I do next so that the part updates with the sketch?

Thank you

Message 6 of 13
SBix26
in reply to: ionut82costan

There is an Update button on the Quick Access toolbar (right beside the Redo button).  While editing the part, it will default to Global Update, but you can also select Local Update.  Global Update will update the part and the assembly at the same time.

Sam B
Inventor 2012 Certified Professional

Please click "Accept as Solution" if this response answers your question.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor Professional 2013 SP1.1 Update 2
Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit, SP1
HP EliteBook 8770w; 8 GB RAM; Core™ i7-3720QM 2.60 GHz; Quadro K4000M
SpaceExplorer/SpaceNavigator NB, driver 3.16.2
still waiting for a foreshortened radius dimensioning tool in Drawing Manager

Message 7 of 13
swhite

Inventor allows top down modeling while in the assembly, but you must open that part and modify, not simply place skectches on it while at the top assembly level. Also keep an eye on the highlighted area (local and global updates). If it is greyed out you are fine, if it is yellow you need to select it to update the assembly.

Assembly.PNG

Steven White
Lee C. Moore, Inc.
www.lcm-wci.com
Inventor 2011
Intel Dual Xeon E31225 @ 3.1 GHz CPU
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 600 GPU
Windows 7 - 64 Bit
Message 8 of 13
jdavis417
in reply to: swhite

If all else fails, don't forget the "Rebuild All" button on the Manage tab (of 2012, at least)!

Message 9 of 13
ionut82costan
in reply to: jdavis417

Thank you all!

The problem was at Inventor.

The update buton wasnt working but after i instaled sp1 2012, si sp2 2012 everything was ok.

i didn't know about Rebuild All buton.

Thank you all for your prompt answers

Message 10 of 13
BILLG34UG

I feel for you BRO... Here is your answer , You are working in Inventor ..any modifications done in your assembly cannot be saved in part configuration as an editable part. I know that's unbelievable But its true.! 

This is extremely disappointing since SOLID WORKS , TOP SOLIDS and other programs have this feature and it Is extremely useful.  Example, When you have sheet metal parts that have hundreds of holes thru a compounded bend sheet, WOW its almost a must ...For that Guy to say to you need think in the real world ..What a joke../..obviously this person has not used drill bushings that require holes drilled in after parts are assembled or when you assemble sheet metal hoppers most all holes over flanges and mating lips are drilled together.

Just the other day I had an assembly where all the sides of the part were odd angles and the holes going thru them were also at odd angles in the x and y planes that went thru the parts. Hole projection command would have been a Life saver.  Being able to save the edited geometry to Parts would of solved this problem in instantly.  but this is not the case with Inventor.

Why didn't he just say the truth who knows??  again this is a good example how Inventor Just Falls short.

Message 11 of 13
mdavis22569
in reply to: BILLG34UG

5 yr old post to keep the continuation of the bashing of Inventor going?

Notsoftwarewares are equal, and they all have something we'd like to have ... 

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 12 of 13
cbenner

@BILLG34UG

This is a users forum, yes... but most people come in here looking for help on specific problems they are having.  Many of us get frustrated at times and rant about something our software cannot do, guilty of that myself.  Most of the product team would tell you that I am one of the more outspoken critics of the things Inventor can't do, but there is productive ranting and there is just plain complaining.

The Idea Forums are set up for productive complaining and wish listing.  But I have to say that trolling 5 year old posts, just to have some place to (once again) tell everyone how much you hate Inventor, makes me seriously wonder if you are not here representing one of the competitors.  If you hate Inventor that much... stop using it.  There are plenty of un and under employed designers that would jump at the chance to have your job.  If you're in a situation where you have no choice because of the job market, may I respectfully suggest that you suck it up and make the best of it.  Get involved in the Idea Forums, join the Beta team... start working to improve Inventor instead of just bashing it.

If you have specific issues, all of us here would be happy to assist you.  Smile... it's only software.

Message 13 of 13
johnsonshiue

Hi Bill,

Indeed, Inventor does not have a straight forward workflow to push assembly features to individual participating parts. I personally agree with you that it would be a very useful workflow. The design intent here was to ensure the feature is done on the participating parts individually, as opposed to being pushed down from a different context.

Certainly it would be productive if the hole feature can be created once and then it gets propagated to all participants. However, it can be ambiguous also. Should this hole be drilled individually or all together when assembled?

Based on your recent postings, I have to wonder if you are trying to market our competitors. I have to reiterate repeatedly, we are focused on resolving issues in Inventor. If you have an issue in Inventor and you would like to pursue a solutIon, you are more than welcome here regardless of being Inventor users or not.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums