Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

the base view in Inventor drawing

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
ferjaoui
2358 Views, 12 Replies

the base view in Inventor drawing

is that there is a possibility to lock the base view in Inventor drawing

thankyou

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
JDMather
in reply to: ferjaoui

Lock the position on sheet or lock the contents of display?

Defer Updates will lock the contents of the display.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 13
ferjaoui
in reply to: JDMather

Hi

I want Lock the position on sheet

tankyou

Message 4 of 13
mpatchus

I don't know of any way to fix a base view's position.  Sure would be nice to have a "LOCK POSITION" option!!!

Mike Patchus - Lancaster SC

Inventor 2025 Beta

Alienware m17, Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10980HK CPU @ 2.40GHz 3.10 GHz, Win 11, 64gb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below. 🙂
Message 5 of 13
mrattray
in reply to: mpatchus

Why?

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 6 of 13
mpatchus
in reply to: mrattray

Mainly for consistency in our standard fabrication drawings.

If I could lock down the position of the base view in our template I could eliminate the "personal preference" aspect of our standard fabrication drawings.

The drawings would start to have some consistency. 

It doesn't do any good to say in our drawing standards that the "Base view shall be located x inches from the left border and y inches from the bottom border" if we have no way of accurately doing this.  Right now positioning of views is "by eye".

For most folks this may not be that big of an issue, but with close to 250 users, for us it is an issue which causes some heartburn with the QA folks when it comes to drawings.

Mike Patchus - Lancaster SC

Inventor 2025 Beta

Alienware m17, Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10980HK CPU @ 2.40GHz 3.10 GHz, Win 11, 64gb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below. 🙂
Message 7 of 13
mrattray
in reply to: mpatchus

Thanks for the explanation.

Unless all of your parts are extremely similar (which I really doubt), I don't see how it would work very well. I understand what you're trying to accomplish, consistency is bliss. I think you would have problems, though.  Imagine, for instance, that you set up the template with a 6" cube in mind and somebody wants to use it to detail a long 3' piece of 1.5" flat bar. I don't think your nicely placed lower left hand corner view would work very well for it.  That's a silly example, but I think it gives you an idea of what you would be facing.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 8 of 13
Mark.Downes

Hi,

Maybe a happy compromise could be adding very faint Grid lines for placing views within your boarder. Place the Grid lines on a layer and tick the plot radio button so it will not print.

Cheers

Mark

Cheers
Mark
Inventor 2018, 3DS Max 2018, Vault 2018
Message 9 of 13
PhilSaw
in reply to: Mark.Downes

Sounds like you'd be after a "Place view with base point" option snapping to a variable set grid much like you see in AutoCAD?

I'd be up for that on the wish list, because you can then place modelled components as 2D views in a diagram format for conceptual layouts.

Please click "Accept as Solution" if this response answers your question.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor Professional 2012
Windows 7 Professional, 64-bit (Service Pack 1)
Intel(R) Core(TM i7-2600 CPU, Quadro 2000 graphics card, 8G RAM
Message 10 of 13
SBix26

You might try changing the view justification to Fixed (see attached image).  It doesn't allow you to place by measurement, but it does at least fix the location of the view in relation to the origin of the part/assembly instead of the view extents.

Message 11 of 13
cwhetten

You never specified which version of Inventor you use, but iLogic provides some options to do this.

There are two snippets to control the position of a drawing view on the sheet:

iLogic View Position.png

Message 12 of 13
aaron.ochsner

Here's another reason to have a "lock view postion" option in the IDW/drawing environment:

Everytime I change the small detaill features in a particular IPT model file (without changing it's overall size or shape), and then go to the corresponding IDW drawing to dimension the changes and new featuers, the views are all shifted around, and I have to spend 30 mins reworking the drawing just to get everything back in place.

Aaron O

A-dec Inc

Message 13 of 13
ic198
in reply to: SBix26

Thanks sbixler- I was looking for a way to fix view position as I add details to General Arrangement drawings in AutoCAD. If I then added extra parts to the Inventor assembly the view would shift and I'd have to move the Acad details in Acad, but your solution means that is no longer needed

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report