Inventor General

Valued Contributor
machiel.veldkamp
Message 31 of 44 (158 Views)

Re: speeding up constrain execution

10-26-2012 04:42 AM in reply to: eleblanc

So, I see that are working on R:/. Is that a network server or a local disk?

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
Valued Mentor
stevec781
Message 32 of 44 (144 Views)

10-26-2012 06:01 AM in reply to: machiel.veldkamp

Local SSD

Valued Contributor
machiel.veldkamp
Message 33 of 44 (140 Views)

10-26-2012 06:03 AM in reply to: stevec781

Could you perhaps do a pack and go into a Zip and upload it here?
I'm very curious if I (or someone else) could experience the same issue. 

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
Employee
steven.dennis
Message 34 of 44 (131 Views)

10-26-2012 06:26 AM in reply to: machiel.veldkamp

Steve,

You said about my comment:

So I read that you think 200 mates is a lot for Inventor to handle regardless of anything else.

I think it is more than what I normally see, that is all my statement was directed at. I do not think that is "too many" for Inventor to handle, it is simply more than I see from MOST customers.

We have actually found the cause of the original poster's slowdown after he sent the data to Johnson. He had many adaptive sheet metal parts, by turning off the adaptivity the speed increased.  Adaptive parts do not need to be adaptive for eternity as a lot of customers know.  Remember that was one of my first questions for him.

You may have a diffferent reason, So if we have the dataset we can make better analysis and help most users.  This is what we do.

Steve, I have great pride in Inventor, I have been working on Inventor since before R1, over 14 years now. I have worked in almost every area of Inventor short of the AddIns. It is millions, and millions of lines of code that sometimes interact in unknown ways.  I think I am a very good software engineer and we have a team of people that can address 99% of issues we ever receive, but we can't do it anecdotally.

If you can ever send the data (or choose to) please let me know.

Steve Dennis
Sr. Principal Engineer
Inventor
Autodesk, Inc.

Distinguished Contributor
eleblanc
Message 35 of 44 (128 Views)

10-26-2012 06:42 AM in reply to: eleblanc

Autodesk look up my assembly and there are 7 parts that uses adaptivity, once adaptivity of those parts disable the executing constraint was instant again.

Only 7 adaptive parts!, i think i used to be able to have alot more adaptive parts in a assembly without that much slow down!

a assembly wide setting to enable/disable temporarly adaptive parts would probably be a good idea.!

Employee
steven.dennis
Message 36 of 44 (126 Views)

10-26-2012 06:46 AM in reply to: eleblanc

Eleblanc,

Thanks for sending Johnson your data.  Adaptivity is a powerful feature but as you just discovered it can sometimes affect performance adversely.  I usually use adaptivity in the early stages to get the size/shape correct and then turn it off. You are right that maybe some kind of "valve" command that negates all adaptive instances in one shot would be a nice addition!

Adaptivity means the part recomputes once or more to try to satisfy the constraints in the assembly, so the performance of adaptivity at the assembly level is directly related to the complexity of your part(s).  Johnson told me that your parts were sheet metal parts as well, I wonder if when they adaptively recomputed if they were then being unfolded again?

That would also greatly affect the performance.

Thanks again for helping us help you.

Steve Dennis
Sr. Principal Engineer
Inventor
Autodesk, Inc.

*Expert Elite*
mrattray
Message 37 of 44 (123 Views)

10-26-2012 06:51 AM in reply to: steven.dennis

I don't use adaptivity at all, personally. There's no need for dealing with it when I can do everything I ever need to do by linking parameters and with iLogic.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

eleblanc
Message 38 of 44 (111 Views)

10-26-2012 07:23 AM in reply to: steven.dennis

steven.dennis wrote:

Johnson told me that your parts were sheet metal parts as well, I wonder if when they adaptively recomputed if they were then being unfolded again?

That would also greatly affect the performance.

Thanks again for helping us help you.

You might be up to something here, yes they are sheet metal. I wonder if they weren't. Would i have the same issue?. for the unfolded again during recompute, i dont now, i guess you would have to go ask the correct person at autodesk in the inventor team?

eleblanc
Message 39 of 44 (108 Views)

10-26-2012 07:24 AM in reply to: eleblanc

eleblanc wrote:
You might be up to something here, yes they are sheet metal. I wonder if they weren't. Would i have the same issue?. for the unfolded again during recompute, i dont now, i guess you would have to go ask the correct person at autodesk in the inventor team?

I just converted my adaptive parts to solid and it did not change anything.

*Expert Elite*
mrattray
Message 40 of 44 (107 Views)

10-26-2012 07:24 AM in reply to: eleblanc

You could just delete the flat patterns (don't save so you don't screw up your drawings) as a test.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube