Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sketching on the ground plane?

16 REPLIES 16
Message 1 of 17
safiredesignengineers
994 Views, 16 Replies

sketching on the ground plane?

Hi Group

why can't i sketch on the ground plane?  If i turn on the ground plae I assume it is a plane like any other but I can't sketch on it nor can i attach nother plane to it?

regards Adrian

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17

I don't understand the question - attach the file here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 17

because the "ground plane" is just a reference plane for visualization purposes only.  hence why it is on the "view" tab.

it has no properties to be able to create a plane on it. 

use the planes under "origin" in your browser, or create a new plane based on existing geometry.

Hi Sceep

Thanks for your reply, I am able to create a plane where I want with a bit of messing about but thought it would be easier to sketch on the ground plane and then found I couldn't:

this particular assembly is based on a wheel and a tube style tyre, the hub is the origin and I couldn't attach a plane to the outside radius of the tube tyre as it has no edges. Although the ground plane seems to know where the bottom of the tyre is? 

However I have got want I need but I think it would be a good asset to enable sketching on the ground plane?

Regards Adrian

Message 5 of 17

@safiredesignengineers wrote:

I couldn't attach a plane to the outside radius of the tube tyre as it has no edges.

Edges are not needed - can still place the workplane.

Attach your file here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 6 of 17

Hi Jd

I managed to get round the issue but it woulkd of been good to enable skewtching on the ground plane.

please find enclosed a temp wheel drawing I can place a plane where I would like on the surface of the tube.

regards Adrian

Message 7 of 17

I would have used a simple revolve rather than the sweep. Results are the same, just less work.

PDSU 2016
Message 8 of 17

Hi Rdyson

thanks, point taken. so how can i attach a plane to a curved surface?

regards Adrian

Message 9 of 17

Where on the curved surface (there could be an infinite number of locations - you haven not provided enough information)?

Perhaps the easiest method is to add a sketch line in one of your generating sketches.
Then simply click the line and endpoint to create the workplane.
If you change the sketch dimension you usually need to click Update for a workplane to move to new location.

EESignature

Message 10 of 17

hi Jd

see my tyre example posted here, if I want to place a plane tangent to the tube surface from another object, line, point or plane etc.. I am unable to selct the tube surface?

regards

Adrian

Message 11 of 17

I take you didn't notice the work plane in my part. It might not be "attached" to the toroid but it will update with any changes you make to the toroid.

PDSU 2016
Message 12 of 17

Hi Rdyson

yes i did see it, but this part was created as a rough sample about my question on sketching the surface plane.

the main outlining problem is getting planes to attach to surfaces like this where I want them in a design.

is this possible?

regards adrian

Message 13 of 17

@safiredesignengineers wrote:

planes to attach to surfaces like this where I want them in a design.

is this possible?

regards adrian

Yes.

EESignature

Message 14 of 17
JDMather
in reply to: JDMather

Here is about as complex a situation as I can think of - everything else is gravy.

Complex lofted surface.

Workplanes 3 and 4 are created normal to surface at pierce point.
Workplanes 5 and 6 are created normal to vector at surface pierce point.

EESignature

Message 15 of 17

Hi Jd

So I have to set up sketches and points to intersect the point I want?

Is it not possible to have a tangent selection on the surface paralel to another plane? I couldn't get this to work in my tyre sketch, the surface is not selctable?

regards Adrian

Message 16 of 17

You only need workpoint if not clearly defined endpoint.
Your geometry is simple enough that all you need is a sketch line.

EESignature

Message 17 of 17

Hi JD

I didn't find it to hard to get what i wanted by messing about, my initial question was about skething on the ground plane as I thought this would be possible, but it seems it is visual only, however the ground plane can find the surface to attach too, without any additional sketches?

regards Adrian

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums