Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

simplified springs

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
Barry1Lau
906 Views, 11 Replies

simplified springs

I am building a stamping die with pressure pads.  Is there a way to make a simplified die spring that compresses in an assembly without drawing out the coils.  I want a simple tube with the correct ID and OD that will compress when the components attached to each end move toward each other.  Can I set the Iproperties to something like rubber?

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
Cadmanto
in reply to: Barry1Lau

Barry,

The easiest method I would think would be to find it online then see if there is a downloadable model.

Short of that can you post an image of what you are looking for?

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 3 of 12
JDMather

Create an Adaptive part.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 4 of 12
swhite

Extrude your tube, right click on the extrusion and select adaptive. Place that in your assembly and right click the part and select adaptive again. Constrain in place and it should adjust in length as your parts move. Although inventor does have a compression spring option to make actual compression springs.

Compression spring.PNG

Steven White
Lee C. Moore, Inc.
www.lcm-wci.com
Inventor 2011
Intel Dual Xeon E31225 @ 3.1 GHz CPU
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 600 GPU
Windows 7 - 64 Bit
Message 5 of 12
Barry1Lau
in reply to: swhite

Will this concept work for the rod of a nitrogen spring?  I currently have a nitrospring as a subassembly with a rod and body.  I am fairly new to Inventor but have 15 yrs with MDT.

Message 6 of 12
swhite

Sorry, running 2011, so if you include screen shots can better answer your question. But I believe you want it to work like a hydraulic cylinder, in which case when you insert that assembly into your main assembly, right-click and select flexible. This will allow the cylinder to slide in and out of the tube - as long as your cylinder is not constrained except to the axis, should move freely in and out in the subassembly. Then when you constrain the body to one point and the rod to the other, it will slide in and out as the parts change distance. Adaptive will actually change the size of parts, not just position.

Dont know how well you can see it, but the two included screenshots show an example of a flexible subassembly of a hydraulic cylinder'

Steven White
Lee C. Moore, Inc.
www.lcm-wci.com
Inventor 2011
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 600 GPU
Windows 7 - 64 Bit
Message 7 of 12
JDMather

@Barry1Lau wrote:

Will this concept work for the rod of a nitrogen spring?  I currently have a nitrospring as a subassembly with a rod and body. 

I think this is a different problem - you should have started a new thread.
The spring problem is for the spring to change actual length.

Do you want your  "Body" part to compress, or do you want your "Cylinder" to move or do you want both?

Next question is, why?

Because the best solution is also depends on the "why" answer.

But the general answer is, yes I am pretty sure what you want can be done one way or another.

For example, Animating a Parameter in Inventor Studio might be a better technique (less resource intensive).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 8 of 12
Barry1Lau
in reply to: JDMather

What I am looking for is having the pressure pad that the rod end is bearing against be able to push the rod into the cylinder body until it reaches the end of its travel then stop. This will enable crash detection when closing the die set. Maybe I will have to wait until I've had more experience with Inventor.
Thanks,
Barry Hazel
Mfg. Engineer
Lau Industries / Ruskin Company
Rochester Plant
(574) 224-5200
Message 9 of 12
swhite

Sounds like drive constraint may be your best answwer.

Steven White
Lee C. Moore, Inc.
www.lcm-wci.com
Inventor 2011
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 600 GPU
Windows 7 - 64 Bit
Message 10 of 12
JDMather

Sounds like Constraint Limits might be what you need.

or maybe Contact Sets.

EESignature

Message 11 of 12
Barry1Lau
in reply to: JDMather

I will have to learn how to use these features.
Message 12 of 12
JDMather

As you are trying to figure these out - post simple examples for addtional help.

If you get into some really complex needs you will need to look into the Dynamic Simulation Environment (Inventor Professional).

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report