Inventor General

Distinguished Contributor
CADDapult
Message 1 of 7 (348 Views)
Accepted Solution

showing removal clearance lines?

348 Views, 6 Replies
01-03-2013 01:03 PM

When creating a piping part, like a strainer, I'd like to be able to show something to represent the area that needs to be kept clear to allow for removal of the filter cartridge.  In AutoCAD I'd just draw a phantom circle and a few lines extending from it to show the needed room.  Does anyone have a suggestion of a way to indicate the area in an Inventor part that won't obscure parts of the main object or other objects that may be located behind?  Transparent solids, or maybe sketch entities?  It's primarily needed for design, but if it can show up in the 2D drawing (without totally blocking what's behind it) it would be a plus.

See the attached file for an example of what we've been doing in our AutoCAD models.

Mike

More of a curmudgeon by the hour
*Expert Elite*
blair
Message 2 of 7 (343 Views)

Re: showing removal clearance lines?

01-03-2013 01:21 PM in reply to: CADDapult

You could model a part for the desired clearance and change it to Reference in the BOM.

Reference components have the following characteristics:

They are ignored in the BOM.

They are excluded from the mass calculations.

They are not numbered, and are not directly included in quantity calculations.

Child components of the reference component are ignored in the BOM.

They are shown with a hidden line style in drawing views.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

IV2015 up1 PDSU / Sim Mech 2015 /
Win7-64
EVGA X79 - Classified, iCore7 3930k 32Gb Quad-Channel
950Gb (2 x 500Gb Sata III SSD RAID0 Adaptec 6805E Controller)
Nvidia GTX-690 Classified - 335.23
SpacePilot Pro 3.17.7, 6.17., 4.11
CADDapult
Message 3 of 7 (310 Views)

01-04-2013 08:33 AM in reply to: CADDapult

If I understand correctly we would make the equipment item one part and the clearance envelope another part, inserted into the assembly seperately?  While it sounds like it would work it means keeping a library of clearance models along side of the equipment models. I'd bet our designers would "forget" to insert the clearances 95% of the time, and insert them in the wrong spot 3% of the time. 

The option I'm hoping for is to have everything contained in the part model so the guys can't mess it up or be lazy not show them.   Would sketches in the part model to show handle swings and clearances be viable?  Is there a down side to doing it that way?

Sorry for being such an Inventor noob. After 25 years of using AutoCAD I'm trying to get us rolling with Inventor.  It's like being a group of professional guitar players who've been given pianos and are expected to play at the same skill level in a few weeks.  There's a lot to learn (and un-learn).

Mike

*Expert Elite*
Curtis_Waguespack
Message 4 of 7 (295 Views)

01-04-2013 09:22 AM in reply to: CADDapult

Hi CADDapult,

I think you can sketch a circle and extrude it as a surface (rather than a solid) in your part model, and use this for your needs. Surfaces will not show in the drawing views by default but can be turned on, and you can turn their visibility off in the part model as needed also.

I often use surfaces such as this as "helper" geometry to make constraining part models quicker.

Some related tips:

http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com/2011/01/how-to-get-imported-parts-and-surfaces.html

http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com/2011/02/round-peg-in-square-hole-autodesk.html

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Autodesk Inventor Pipe clearance Surface.png

solution.png  Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or  Kudos button below.

*Expert Elite*
JDMather
Message 5 of 7 (267 Views)

01-04-2013 10:14 AM in reply to: CADDapult

CADDapult wrote:

In AutoCAD I'd just draw a phantom circle and a few lines Mike

You could do the same thing in Inventor - but I think I would use the surface body suggestion.

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2014 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional
Inventor Professional 2015 64-bit
http://www.autodesk.com/edcommunity
http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/DSG322/inventor_surface_tutorials.htm
*Expert Elite*
blair
Message 6 of 7 (242 Views)

01-04-2013 01:36 PM in reply to: Curtis_Waguespack

Good idea, I am used to using power tools that I have modeled to check for proper clearances for assembly.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

IV2015 up1 PDSU / Sim Mech 2015 /
Win7-64
EVGA X79 - Classified, iCore7 3930k 32Gb Quad-Channel
950Gb (2 x 500Gb Sata III SSD RAID0 Adaptec 6805E Controller)
Nvidia GTX-690 Classified - 335.23
SpacePilot Pro 3.17.7, 6.17., 4.11
CADDapult
Message 7 of 7 (190 Views)

01-07-2013 05:10 AM in reply to: Curtis_Waguespack

Curtis, I think extruding surfaces will be our best bet. 

Thanks to all for your suggestions, they are very much appreciated!

Mike

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube