Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sheet name in title block

17 REPLIES 17
Message 1 of 18
dhoerig
4740 Views, 17 Replies

sheet name in title block

how do you get the sheet name into the title block, other that using a prompted entry?
17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
Anonymous
in reply to: dhoerig

You mean the Number? Add a property field and set it to Sheet Properties

--
Kent
Member of the Autodesk Discussion Forum Moderator Program

"dhoerig" wrote in message news:f125015.-1@WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> how do you get the sheet name into the title block, other that using a prompted entry?
Message 3 of 18
dhoerig

No, not the number. I would like to have the name. By default, all sheets are named "Sheet", but they can be changed by right clicking on the sheet in the browser and selecting "edit sheet". This is the value that I would like to have in the title block.
Thanks
Message 4 of 18
Anonymous

How do you get the Sheet Property to show in a
cloumn in the Parts List to indicate what sheet parts are detailed
on?

The Parts List Column Chooser does not have a
"Sheet Properties" selectin under "Select Available Properties from"
box.

If I manually add a sheet number column by
clicking "New Property", whatever is manually typed in that cloumn goes away
upon updating the Part list in the browser, (even if I freeze the line in the
parts list). This is on each individual Sheet BTW.

Message 5 of 18
Anonymous

We only support Sheet number and Sheet size not the
Sheet name.

A prompted entry seems to me the best
solution..

If you want to avoid the prompt, the second best
is to define a custom property for the drawing but you will need to
make sure that you manually update the property each time you change
the sheet name. The other restriction is that the sheet name needs to
be uniform over the entire drawing otherwise the property would become
ambiguous.

Bob

Inventor workflow QA

style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
how
do you get the sheet name into the title block, other that using a prompted
entry?
Message 6 of 18
chrisw01a
in reply to: Anonymous

Message 7 of 18
chrisw01a

@dhoerig wrote:
how do you get the sheet name into the title block, other that using a prompted entry?

Is there any method available now to accomplish this?  I would like to do the same thing...

Message 8 of 18
mcgyvr
in reply to: chrisw01a

@chrisw01a wrote:

@dhoerig wrote:

Is there any method available now to accomplish this?  I would like to do the same thing...

@chrisw01a Is using "ilogic" an acceptable solution..

Its easy to get the active sheet name.. But how exactly do you want it to work..

Do you have multiple sheets?

Here is a sample of how to get the active sheet name and display it.. You could write that to a custom iproperty for the sheet and then use that to populate the title block..

SName = ActiveSheet.Name
MessageBox.Show(SName, "Drawing Sheet Name Is")

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 9 of 18
chrisw01a
in reply to: mcgyvr

Cool.  

For example, I have 2 sheets.  In the browser I rename them to "part1", and "part2, part3"

I just want that info to display in a text box on my sheet.

So if I change it in the browser, it should update on the sheet.

Thank you.

Message 10 of 18
chrisw01a
in reply to: mcgyvr

Can iLogic access a "text box" by ID or name?

I could have a standard text label and have iLogic populate it with the sheet name, but I don't see a way to get to the text box from iLogic.

Message 11 of 18
chrisw01a

It could also work the opposite direction.  If I edit the text on the sheet, it could change the sheet name to match.  That would be fine too...

Message 12 of 18
dilubeenker

I was wondering if it's going to be possible to populate the title block with the sheet name from drawing iProperties any time soon. I need to put a different description on each sheet for some instruction drawings. I would like to keep the entire instruction contained in one file with different sheets. I give every sheet in the browser a name that reflects the step in the assembly process, and I would like to include this name in the title block so that every sheet has de assembly step in the title block without using iLogic.

Message 13 of 18
chrisw01a
in reply to: dilubeenker

Yes, very similar to what we would like to see.  This is also very handy when browsing a drawing that has many sheets when you are looking for a certain one.  

One thing I would like also is the ability to "tile" or "arrange" all sheets in the drawing for a quick visual.  You can do it with multiple drawings, but not within a single drawing with multiple sheets (that I know of).

Anyhow, Thank you

Chris

Message 14 of 18
KenVaessen

I've got the same problem.

I've got the rule to get the sheetname and add this to the custom properties

SyntaxEditor Code Snippet

oSheet=ThisApplication.ActiveDocument.ActiveSheet.Name
iProperties.Value("Custom", "SheetName") = oSheet
iLogicVb.UpdateWhenDone = True

After you run the rule you can select this in the title block by going the the custom Properties - Drawing and select SheetName

Your title block shows <SheetName> and it works.

The only problem is that you got all the same sheetname for al sheets. So the solution is to get multiple sheetnames. So for every sheet a diferent name and get this to the titleblock.

Has someone got the solution for this problem?

Message 15 of 18
KenVaessen
in reply to: KenVaessen

Message 16 of 18
OK-BOOMER

I am sure glad to report that nineteen years after somebody pointed out the absence of yet another an obvious feature intimately related to what the software does (drafting), that people are still recommending buggy macros and that Autodesk (a drafting company) has basically given up.

Message 17 of 18
SBix26
in reply to: OK-BOOMER

Autodesk is not a "drafting company".  If I want drafting done, I will certainly not be hiring Autodesk to do it.

Just like any other business, they prioritize where their limited resources will be applied to best serve their customers while still maintaining a positive balance sheet.  You and I may disagree with their priorities (and we do!), but our only choices are to engage with them in whatever ways they make available to customers, or to take a major investment stake in the company and try to influence priorities that way, or to find another supplier whose product does everything we want.

Your statement that Autodesk "has basically given up" implies that they have been trying to produce your desired functionality, and have failed and quit trying.  I seriously doubt that you know that to be true, and if you do have that kind of knowledge about a publicly held company you're not allowed to say so in public.

Your goal in asking for this functionality is to increase the reliability and accuracy of your drawing communication, I believe.  Can you not adopt the same standard of accuracy in your written communication here on the forum?

Sam B
Inventor Pro 2022.0.1 | Windows 10 Home 20H2
LinkedIn

Message 18 of 18
G_Effland

I know this is very late to the party, but I have looked for similar functionality.  I may do a drawing set of multiple sheets with views coming from an assembly (IAM) and it would be nice to be able to put into the title block what the intent of the drawing is.  Instead of Drawing "1" (Sheet Number), maybe something like "Widget Installation".

An easy way to implement this would be to simply expand the "Sheet Properties" that are available in a text annotation.

Currently "Sheet Properties" (Inventor 2022) includes:

• Initial View Scale
  • Sheet Number
  • Sheet Revision
  • Sheet Size

Why not add "Sheet Label" which would be whatever the "Sheet:1" is renamed to without the ":##" suffix?

Then whenever you edit the label in the tree it could be shown on the title block.  You'd still have to edit the title block to access that property/parameter, so it would only affect those that want this feature.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report