Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sheet metal flate pattern

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
frank
485 Views, 5 Replies

sheet metal flate pattern

I have made a few parts in sheet metal.  I have created flat patterns of them.  I am tryin to figure out a way to extract the flat pattern to import into an assembly to show how to nest the parts on my stock material so that i can either get an accurate idea of how much stock material i need or to even cut them out with my mill / laser. 

Intel Core I7-6700k @4.0ghz
16 GB memory
Nvidia GeForce GTX 950 (2gb graphics memory)
Windows 10 pro 64 bit
Inventor
INVENTOR HSM
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Mario428
in reply to: frank

Always found it easier to do this in an IDW file.

Create a sheet the same size as your material to be used, usually 48 x 96.

Set you parts in using the flat pattern option at 1-1 scale and then move them around to get best result.

You can save this to dwg or dxf to send to your cutting vendor if you wanted.

Hope this helps0.

Message 3 of 6
frank
in reply to: Mario428

Thank You.  That does work. 

I still would like to be able to export the flat pattern as an .ipt or when placing in an .iam to be able to select place as flat pattern, cause i am using the new Autodesk cam software to cam these parts out for milling. 

I dont like exporting and importing any other file formats, cause on my machine atleast (and i am not too educated in importing and exporting files) it never seems to work as nicely as i would like. 

Intel Core I7-6700k @4.0ghz
16 GB memory
Nvidia GeForce GTX 950 (2gb graphics memory)
Windows 10 pro 64 bit
Inventor
INVENTOR HSM
Message 4 of 6
Mario428

@frank wrote:

Thank You.  That does work. 

I still would like to be able to export the flat pattern as an .ipt or when placing in an .iam to be able to select place as flat pattern, cause i am using the new Autodesk cam software to cam these parts out for milling. 

I dont like exporting and importing any other file formats, cause on my machine atleast (and i am not too educated in importing and exporting files) it never seems to work as nicely as i would like. 

If I was going to use a CAM program inside Inventor to mill a flat pattern I would go about it differently.

I would create the part as a regular sheet metal part. Then use " unfold " to create a flat part, then use cam to create my toolpath. Use "Refold " to make the part the right shape again. I beleive "level of detail" would allow you to suppress the refold so the CAM always sees the part as flat.

You could also do that is an assembly bringing the parts in at the flattened "Level of Detail ". Might get to be a PITA though. LOL

Problem with trying to use CAM on the actual Flat Pattern is every time you save Inventor will want to rebend the part.

Message 5 of 6
SBix26

Derive the folded part into another sheet metal part (with same sheet metal settings).  Flatten the derived part and use it for CAM.

Message 6 of 6
Mario428
in reply to: SBix26

@sbixler wrote:

Derive the folded part into another sheet metal part (with same sheet metal settings).  Flatten the derived part and use it for CAM.

Gotta say with my history with derived parts and having them update as required, I would not do this on a dare if I thought the parts would change.

Being able to have a derived part is kinda cool but hoping it is the same as the original when it matters, not so cool.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report