Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

selective vault publishing

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
JimSteinmeyer
369 Views, 8 Replies

selective vault publishing

After using vault for a while I think we are ready to start publishing some of out drawings rather than looking them up each time the shop needs them. I would like to go through the drawings in the Vault and select the files I want published. This would not be all the drawings available. I would also like to be able to select files to publish or not as I check them in. I am able to set the folder to publish too, But I do not see how to publish the files. Can someone tell me where to find the settings to control this function?

Thank you

Jim

Jim

Inventor Premium 2013 SP1.1
Vault 2013- plain vanilla version
HP G71 notebook
celeron cpu w\ 4gb RAM and 64 bit system
Win 7 home premium

Ya, my boss has me running my personal machine at work.
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
BLHDrafting
in reply to: JimSteinmeyer

Vault :- Tools/Administration/Vault Settings/Visualization tab/Define button. This is the place to set up where and how the visualization (dwf) files are made/located. By default as you check in files the dwf's are created. You can turn this on/off for individual check in by using the Inventor Vault/Options/Check In Dialog/Settings button and turning off the Create Visualization Attachment check box. A bit tedious on a per assy/part basis. I have the create visualization on by default. There can be a slight performance lag when creating the dwf file on large complex assemblies.

Brendan Henderson

Web www.blhdrafting.com.au
Twitter @BLHDrafting

Windows 7 x64 -64 GB Ram, Intel Xeon E5-1620 @ 3.6 GHz
ATI FirePro V7800 2 GB, 180 GB SSD & 1 TB HDD, Inv R2016 PDSU SP1 (Build 210), Vault 2016 Professional Update 1 (Build 21.1.4.0)
Message 3 of 9
john.laidler
in reply to: BLHDrafting

Using the 'web client' would be a better practice.  The 'published' folder is not managed by Vault, but rather is a 'dumping' area to publish DWF's. 

John Laidler
AutoCAD, Inventor and Vault

Please use "Accept as Solution" & give "Kudos" if this response helped you.
Message 4 of 9
BLHDrafting

But the OP says they have Vault vanilla which I take to mean Vault Basic. The web client does not come with Basic in 2011, 12 or 13?

Brendan Henderson

Twitter @BLHDrafting

ATI FirePro V7800 2 GB, 180 GB SSD & 1 TB HDD, Inv R2016 PDSU SP1 (Build 210), Vault 2016 Professional Update 1 (Build 21.1.4.0)
Message 5 of 9
RobJV

Jim,

As somebody who has used Vault from the very beginning and went along with the "Autodesk" way of doing things when it comes to dwf files, publishing, dwf attachments (in the early days) etc. I will give you some advice.

Do not publish dwfs and do not turn it on in the vault.  (I still use Vault to this day.)  Simply publish pdfs of your finished drawing and save it somewhere that is accessible by all who need it.  (I persoanlly use a sharepoint server for this).  As revisions are created, I simply rename the older files with something like "_REVA".

Now Autodesk has made things a little better and may continue to do so but I would say good luck to you if you want to follow the dwf method.  (There have been bugs, dwf file visualization problems, problems when sending files to others outside your organization etc.  Although 3D dwf files are nice, most shop personnel I know could care less about spinning your 3D dwf around and looking at the 3D model - they want the 2D drawing.)

Rob

Message 6 of 9
BLHDrafting
in reply to: RobJV

Yes, there are some problems with DWF's themselves and in the publishing of them. Personally I have only had 2 issues and these were with very large assemblies (5000+ discreet parts).There are also many problems with Inventor and Vault but we all continue to use them.

We tried the PDF method but it ended up too much of an overhead doing all the manual work (we used task scheduler to print the IDW's to PDF). At least when check-in is issued the DWF is done automatically. And yes all of the 3D part and assy files are also published to DWF. It makes the file window a bit confusing because every file has a .dwf added to it. Our users just ignore these and stick to the 1234.idw.dwf files.

You've got to find and answer that suits your situation and needs best. DWF fits ours.

Brendan Henderson

Twitter @BLHDrafting

Message 7 of 9
RobJV
in reply to: BLHDrafting

All totally fair statements!  I still stand behind my "beware of dwf" statements though. Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 9

I would strongly recommend to you looking into upgrading Vault to take advantage of the web client.  But if you can't, then the 'publish' option would be your best bet.  You'll just have to create some procedures on managing the folder when files are renamed, moved or deleted inside the Vault.

John Laidler
AutoCAD, Inventor and Vault

Please use "Accept as Solution" & give "Kudos" if this response helped you.
Message 9 of 9

Very interesting discussion.

Upgrading is out of the question. I had to work hard to spend the money to implament vault as it is and when it cost another $1400 in support time when we upgraded from 2011 to 2012 we almost pulled the plug. If it gets tedious to only publish certain  files that are ready, we may look at the PDF method. We have a few years of legacy files that were saved in a set of files with redundent files in several different folders and a multitude of redundent names. Suprisingly even though we have a part numbering system for completed top level product and salable replacement parts, not one of the files use these part numbers.

At this point I would like to be able to publish the ocasional drawing that has been cleaned up.

Jim

Inventor Premium 2013 SP1.1
Vault 2013- plain vanilla version
HP G71 notebook
celeron cpu w\ 4gb RAM and 64 bit system
Win 7 home premium

Ya, my boss has me running my personal machine at work.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report